Moving Image: Practice, Criticism, Discourse
The artists, writers and curators in this group are concerned with the theoretical and historical study of artists' moving image, through their practice.
Artists’ Moving Image has been a strength and a defining characteristic of Fine Art at Central Saint Martins for many years. Its courses, staff and graduates have played, and continue to play, an important part in the field - historically, and in an evolving contemporary practice. This group aims to act as a focal point for the diverse activity in film and video currently pursued by the artists, curators and writers teaching across the Art Programme.
Alongside that individual practice the British Artists Film and Video Study Collection, and the MRes Art: Moving Image course founded with LUX provide an unprecedented context for developing the expanded field of moving image research within contemporary art.
The group is not based upon any orthodoxy and doesn’t strive to construct false commonalities or unifying themes. Instead it aims to articulate and explore ideas and issues recognized through differences in approach while still implicated in what can be understood as specific to the moving image.
Research group convenor:Professor Graham Ellard
Recent activities & outputs
- Susan Trangmar marks anniversary of Battle of Somme in film, 2016.
- Anthony McCall in conversation with Graham Ellard & Stephen Johnstone, Whitechapel Gallery, 2016.
- Graham Ellard & Stephen Johnstone, screening at Guggenheim Museum, NY, 2016.
- Erica Tan - residency in Singapore, 2015
- Screening: 'For an Open Campus', March 2015.
- Symposium: Now That's What I Call Pluralism!, March 2015
- Mark Lewis talk, March 2015
- Duncan White, curator's talk (video), Nottingham Contemporary, 2014.
- CSM News - Erika Tan: Sensing Obscurity (I, II, III)
- UAL event - The City and its Moving Images: Hypertopia by Francesco Casetti, 2013
- CSM News -Emily Wardill: Full firearms
- Afterall Film Club: Victor Burgin, May 2013.
- Afterall Film Club: Anne Tallentire, February 2013
- Afterall Film Club: Nina Power, December 2012
- Afterall Film Club: Mark Leckey, October 2012
- Afterall Film Club: John Stezaker, October 2012
- Afterall Film Club: Laura Mulvey, May 2012
- Afterall Film Club: Dexter Dalwood, May 2012