Forum For Fashion Design & Visual Art Practice
Hub Coordinator: Charlotte Hodes, Professor in Fine Art
Based at London College of Fashion, this research hub is broad in its remit with the aim of supporting unexpected connections and conversations between researchers engaged with practice from both the field of fashion design, costume, curation and visual art practice. It celebrates the ever increasing interrelationships between these areas and the way narratives of process, which are often hidden, are a means to generate understanding and innovative approaches to research.
Central to the hub is reflection upon process, both analogue and digital to include the hand craft, drawing and digital technologies. These include a focus on the body, dress and material. In addition, it encompasses an engagement with artefact and archives within UAL collections and beyond which form an important resource for many of the researchers involved in this hub.
The hub draws from a wide range of expertise within LCF including creative practitioners, designers and curators. Students, staff and researchers from across the University are welcome to participate.
Recent activities and outputs
- ‘Working in the Interzone: Fashion as Interdisciplinary Practice’, 11 May 2016.
- ‘The Mick Jones Rock and Roll Public Library in Venice’, 17 February 2016.
- ‘What is Critical Fashion Practice’, 25 November 2015.
- ‘Narrate, Re-animate and Decorate’ (joint symposium with BA Ceramic Design at CSM), 19 October 2015.
- ‘Woman, Picture, Age’, 7 October 2015.
- Mirrors to Windows: The Artist as Woman, 5th June 2015.
- Deryn Rees Jones and Charlotte Hodes; a poetry and image collaboration, ‘And You, Helen’, 29 April 2015.
- Archive as Art... Art as Archive II: James Putnam, 25 February 2015.
- Archive as Art… Art as Archive I: Whitney McVeigh discussed her practice and film research, 21 January 2015.
- Armando Chant: Imaginative Voyaging, 29 October 2014.
- Communities of Practice Research Group, About Face: Concepts of Portraiture
- MarKings: Illustration and Performance Festival
- Drawing & the Body, Stockholm 2011, conceived and co-curated by Charlotte Hodes.
- Practice- led research collaboration between LCF and the National Gallery 2013.
The Forum for Fashion Design & Visual Art Practice was launched in Autumn 2014. It brings together the Forum for Drawing and Artifact and Curation Hubs. Events listed here prior to Autumn 2014 represent these earlier hubs.