Art and Philosophy Research Group
The Art and Philosophy Research Group is a platform for philosophy and the philosophy of art that has been established through a series of public talks and events over the last 3 years since the establishment of the Masters in Research course in Art Theory and Philosophy.
Built upon institutional collaborations the group aims to foster further collaborations of this kind through conferences, symposia and talks and to develop links with doctoral students and their tutors through reading groups, workshops and presentations by students. The group reflects the significant number of staff at Central Saint Martins who are engaged in philosophical research and publishing.
Public discussions presently focus upon the subject of philosophy, politics and the arts developed largely, though not exclusively, in collaboration with the Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy and the London Graduate School, Kingston University.
Research group convenors: Christopher Kul-Want
Recent activities & outputs
- Conference: 21st Century Photography: art, philosophy, techniques. 5-6 June 2015.
- Podcast: Simon Morgan Wortham on Realism and Psychosis December 2014
- Podcast: Catherine Malabou – Relinquishing the transcendental? Speculative realism in question December 2014
- Podcast: Peter Osborne – Use! Value! Exchange! Inside and outside relations of exchange November 2014
- A symposium on ‘Aesthetics After Ernst Bloch’, December 2013 (audio podcast)
- A symposium on ‘The Aesthetics and Politics of Resistance’, November 2013 (audio podcast)
- A symposium on ‘The Aesthetics and Politics of Resistance’, November 2013
- Public lecture by Professor David Harvey, June 2013 (audio podcast)
- A public lecture by Professor François Laruelle, June 2013 (audio podcast)
- Slavoj Žižek in conversation with Jonathan Derbyshire, June 2012