Transfer From Another Institution
We welcome research degree students who would like to transfer their MPhil or PhD from another institution to UAL.
You can transfer your research degree studies to start at UAL at the beginning of any month throughout the academic year, but please be aware that it may take up to 3 months to process your application.
If you begin at UAL on any date other than 1 October in any academic year, your tuition fees for your first year will be pro-rated; tuition fees will then be charged as normal in subsequent academic years.
1. Download the application form
Please read the Research Degree Transfer Application Guidance Notes carefully before completing your application form.
- Research Degree Transfer Application Form (Word 60KB)
- Research Degree Transfer Application Guidance Notes (PDF 134KB)
- Research Degree Transfer Regulations 2015-16 (PDF 78KB)
- Code of Practice on Research Ethics (PDF 101KB)
2. Choose a College
You can only apply to one College. To decide which of UAL’s colleges you would like to apply to, please review their research specialisms via their webpages at:
You may also contact the relevant College Academic Research Contact to discuss your proposal:
- CCW Graduate School: Dr Athanasios Velios – email@example.com
- Central Saint Martins: James Swinson – firstname.lastname@example.org
- London College of Communication: Patrick Sutherland - email@example.com
- London College of Fashion: Professor Ian King – firstname.lastname@example.org
You are also welcome to contact and discuss your proposal with any of our academics who you would like to work with. View the A-Z list of staff research profiles.
If you are offered a place we will do our best to fit you with your desired supervisor(s), but it may not always be possible to do this.
3. Submit your application
Send your completed, signed and dated Research Degree Transfer Application Form (available above), along with all applicable accompanying documents as email attachments, to email@example.com.
You must include the following documents as attachments to your email:
- fully completed Research Degree Transfer Application Form;
- copies of all relevant higher education certificates;
- a copy of your current passport or identity card;
- a copy of your current UK visa (if applicable);
- evidence of your English language proficiency (if applicable).
University of the Arts London cannot guarantee that an application will be considered if it is sent to any other email address. Please ensure that your email, including all attachments, does not exceed 7MB, as we may not receive emails that are larger than this.
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application within five working days of the date that you submit it. If you do not receive this confirmation, please contact the Research Student Team at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on +44 (0) 20 7514 2286. Please do not resend your application.
On your application form you must supply the names and contact details of two referees who can write a reference in support of your application to transfer your research degree studies to UAL.
Important: it is your responsibility to ensure that your referees use the Academic Reference for a Research Degree at UAL (available below) and that they both submit their references in support of your application to email@example.com. We will not chase references on your behalf.
- Academic Reference for a Research Degree at UAL (Word 45KB)