Apply for a Research Degree
Applications for a place on the Research Degrees (MPhil/PhD) Programme starting in October 2017/18 are now open.
There are two deadlines for applications:
- 9am Monday 14 November 2016. This deadline has now passed.
- 9am Tuesday 18 April 2017
Please note: Applicants wishing to be considered for AHRC funding must submit their UAL Application by Monday 14 November 2016. Interviews will be held in the week beginning 5 December 2016.
1. Download the application form
Please read the Research Degree (MPhil/PhD) Application Guidance Notes 2017-18 carefully before completing your application form.
2. Choose a College
You can only apply to one College. To decide which of UAL’s colleges you would like to apply to, please review their research specialisms via their webpages at:
You may also contact the relevant College Academic Research Contact to discuss your proposal:
- CCW Graduate School: Dr Athanasios Velios – email@example.com
- Central Saint Martins: James Swinson – firstname.lastname@example.org
- London College of Communication: Patrick Sutherland - email@example.com
- London College of Fashion: Professor Ian King – firstname.lastname@example.org
You are also welcome to contact and discuss your proposal with any of our academics who you would like to work with. View the A-Z list of staff research profiles.
Please be aware that if you are offered a place then we will do our best to fit you with your desired supervisor(s), but it may not always be possible to do this.
3. Submit your application
Send your completed, signed and dated application form (available above), along with all applicable accompanying documents as email attachments to email@example.com.
You must include the following documents as attachments to your email:
- fully completed Research Degree (MPhil/PhD) Application Form 2017-18 (available very shortly from this page);
- copies of all relevant higher education certificates;
- a copy of your current passport or identity card;
- a copy of your current UK visa (if applicable);
- evidence of your English language proficiency (if applicable).
University of the Arts London cannot guarantee that an application will be considered if it is sent to any other email address. Please ensure that your email, including all attachments, does not exceed 7MB, as we may not receive emails that are larger than this.
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application within five working days of the date that you submit it. If you do not receive this confirmation, please contact the Research Student Team at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on +44 (0) 20 7514 2286, but please do not resend your application.
On your application form you must supply the names and contact details of two referees who can write a reference in support of your application.
These references should address your academic work or professional experience relevant to your proposal, and your suitability for study at MPhil or PhD level.
Important: it is your responsibility to ensure that your referees use the Academic Reference for a Research Degree at UAL (available below) and that they both submit their references in support of your application to email@example.com by the relevant deadline for your application (deadlines to be confirmed shortly).
We will not chase references on your behalf and if we have not received both of your references by the relevant deadline, your application will not be considered.