Benefits of Using Blackboard
- Supports collaborative working
- Offers a range of tools that can be utilised as part of an online or blended course.
- Ability to assign staff users to a number of different roles.
- A secure work environment accessible anywhere via the internet.
- A calendar to flag key dates and events in the course year and link to assessments due.
- To Do List allows students to set their own goals and produce task lists.
- My Grades shows how students are progressing through a course, with an online report including assessment scores and feedback comments.
- Synchronous and asynchronous communication tools for peer and group working. For example, Discussion Forum, Chatroom and Virtual Classroom.
- E-mail allows you to message anyone on the same course or the entire course.
- Announcements tool allows messages to be sent by administrators to everyone on a course.
- The ability for staff and students to access assessments, feedback comments, and guidance at any time.
- Assessments (quizzes and surveys) are available to provide formative assessment.
- Questions banks can be created and new assessments generated quickly from question banks.
- Supports the electronic submission of documents and provides plagiarism detection.
- Courses can utilise media-rich material including images, video, and audio.
- Blackboard will host a wide variety of content formats including standard Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.
- Ability to link to any resource which has a web address.
- Content created within a Blackboard course site can be exported and re-used in other course sites.
- Content can be selectively released to students on key dates and usage can be tracked.
Benefits for learners
- Provides access to learning activities outside of lectures and off campus.
- It can improve peer group working and communication by providing a mechanism for collaboration.
- Learning becomes more personalised for individuals.
- Supports students learning at their own pace.
- The Journal helps develop reflective practice and improves the students' own learning performance.
Benefits for teaching staff
- Provide support for students on and off-campus.
- Tracking shows when students have accessed the system and their progress.
- Less paperwork to manage as more content is put online.
- Learning materials can be designed with templates to ensure consistency.
- Learning content can be updated easily.
- The system provides a cost-effective and time-saving method of delivery as there are fewer printed materials to copy, issue and post.