A sign-up list is the electronic version of a paper 'sign-up sheet' on a noticeboard and can be added to any content area in a Blackboard course. It allows students to sign up for anything such as an activity where places are limited. You can use this tool to allow students to sign up for one-off events (such as workshops or revision sessions) or ongoing group events (such as seminars or tutorial groups).
If you are offering a choice of several sessions, such as three possible seminar slots each week, a separate list will be needed for each instance. The Batch Create Lists tool allows you to create multiple lists quickly with just one operation.
Please note that students can sign up to more than one list. Therefore, if you are offering students a choice of sessions, you may wish to group the lists in a folder with instructions telling them dents that they should only sign up for one of the available options.
Creating a Sign-up List
- Select the Control Panel
- Select the Content Area where you wish to put the list
- Select Sign-up List from the drop-down list on the right-hand of content area toolbar and click the Go button.
- If you wish to create one list, fill in the four areas of information for the list:
- Content information: Add the name of the session and any instructions such as the time and place of the event or series of seminars. You may notice that the text box editor has a slightly different appearance from the standard Blackboard editor. This is because Seminar Sign-up is a Building Block that is added on to Blackboard.
- Sign-up Period: Set the sign-up period to indicate when the list opens and closes - the dates between which the students will be able to sign-up (not the visibility of the item).
- List Options:
- Set the maximum number of students for each session.
- Set the reserve list (waiting list) size.
- The option to show names on the list allows students to see the names of the other students who have signed up. If you choose No the other students will just see whether the person has an active account and the date on which they signed up.
- You have an option to allow students to be able to remove their names from lists suring the sign-up period. If you choose Yes, when they click the sign-up list they will be given the option to 'Withdraw'.
- Options: Set availability and release date options here to control visibilty of the item the same as for any Blackboard content item.
- If you wish to create multiple lists in one operation, click the Batch Create Lists button at the top of the screen and fill in the information requested similar to that above.
- Click Submit and then OK.
View Students who have Signed Up
To view the students who have signed up to a list, click on the sign-up list item either through the Control Panel or directly from the student view:
This will give you a list of all the students who have signed up, along with their account details, whether the account is active and the date/time of sign-up. From here you have a number of other options:
- Add the students to a Blackboard group – either a pre-existing group or create a new group for the session
- Email all members of the session
- Print a list of all the members of the session
- Manually add or remove students from the list
What Will it Look Like?
A sign-up list is the electronic version of a paper 'sign-up sheet' on a noticeboard and can be added to any content area in a Blackboard course. It allows students to sign up for anything such as an activity where places are limited. Tutors can use this tool to allow you to sign up for one-off events (such as workshops or revision sessions) or ongoing group events (such as seminars or tutorial groups).
If you are offered a choice of several sessions, such as three possible seminar slots each week, there will be a a separate list for each instance. Please follow your tutors instructions and sign up for only one of the available options. If your tutor is using a sign-up list, he or she will tell you where to find the list in your Blackboard course.
The item for sign-up will look like the following screenshot:
Please make sure that if there are multiple sessions available for sign-up you choose the correct date and time and make a note of which session you have signed up for. To sign up to a list, follow this procedure:
- Click on the words Sign up and you will see a screen similar to the following:
- Click on the Sign up now! button and you will see a page confirming that you have been added to the session.
- Click on the OK button and you will be returned to the sign-up page, where you should see your name listed.
- Click OK to exit the sign-up tool.
If you wish to check your sign-up details (or remove yourself if this is allowed by the tutor), navigate to the sign-up item and click on the words Sign up again. You will be able to confirm that you have been booked onto that session.
If you are able to remove yourself, you will see a Withdraw button – click on this and you will be asked to confirm the withdrawal. Press OK and then OK on the confirmation page that appears. You can always sign up again if there are places still available.
If you try and sign-up to a session for which you have already booked a place, the system will tell you that this is not possible.