Dr Wiebke Leister
Dr. Wiebke Leister is a German artist, writer and researcher, and is the Course Leader for MA Photography at London College of Communication.
Wiebke studied photography at the University in Essen and gained a PhD from the Royal College of Art in London. She has exhibited and published her award-winning work internationally.
She's been teaching on MA Photography at LCC since 2004, taking over as Course Leader from in 2013. She also taught fine art photography at Fachhochschule Bielefeld and Folkwang Universität der Künste in Essen.
She is a co-organiser of the Photography and the Contemporary Imaginary Research Hub and a core member of the Photography and the Archive Research Centre at University of the Arts London. She has also worked in museums, organising conferences and exhibitions.
Wiebke's work investigates the conditions of photographic non-likeness by focusing on representations of faciality and the photographic presentation of expressive signs of the face in relation to its facial canvas. Actively involving the viewer in the promises and failures of visual representation, her work engages with the interfacing of human boundaries and explores how we encounter ourselves in others.
As an artist she works with photography, drawing and collage; her writing is in English and German and her written practice spans from academic papers and reviews to fiction, including text-based works for the gallery.
- 'Photography In‐the‐Round: Gerhard Richter's "48 Portraits", 1972 and 1998': Photographies 7:2, Autumn 2014, 217-246.
- 'Ever After': Journal for Visual Communication 10:3, August 2011, 401-418.
- 'Love at First Sight': Rattle Journal 2, 2011, 1-4.
- 'Mona Lisa on a Bad Day; Or, the Impossibility of Neutrality and the Non-Likeness of Photographic Portraiture': Journal of Photography and Culture 3:2, Summer 2010, 153-174.
- 'Apropos Laughter in Photography': Fotografie im Diskurs performativer Kulturen, M Deppner (ed), Kehrer, Heidelberg, 2009, 52-67.
- Lovers, Liars and Laughter: Fieldstudy 11, Photography and the Archive Research Centre, London, 2008.
- 'Performing Laughter: Duchenne's Smile in the Light of Photographic Practice': About Performance 8, June 2008, 209-228.
- ' "Hals über Kopf" and "Eigenzeit" ': Source 54, Spring 2008, 26-35.
- 'Ethik im fotografischen Menschenbild': K Becker, E-M Engelen, M Vec (eds), Ethisierung – Ethikferne, Akademie Verlag, Berlin, 2003, 160-175.
- Theatherszene Jahrbuch Köln, D Langer and M Burkert (eds), M7 Verlag, Sk-Stiftung, Cologne, 2001.
Exhibitions and projects include:
Kunsthaus Essen, Atelierhaus Aachen, Kunst- und Medienzentrum Adlershof Berlin, Photokina Cologne, Art Frankfurt, Kasseler Fotoforum, Haus der Photographie Hamburg, Kunstbunker Tumulka Munich, Foto-Triennale Esslingen, Circus Charivari Berlin, Westfälisches Industriemuseum Dortmund, Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Galerie Mousonturm Frankfurt, Wissenschaftszentrum Bonn, Dryphoto arte contemporanea Prato, Školská 28 Prague, Photographic Centre Nykyaika Tampere, Society for Contemporary Photography Kansas City, Fremantle Arts Centre, Australian Centre of Photography Sydney, Goethe Institut London, Institute of Contemporary Arts London, Radio Resonance 104.4FM, The Photographers' Gallery London, National Portrait Gallery London, Centre for the Arts Hereford, Danielle Arnaud London, Am Nuden Da London, Guest Projects London.