Nicolas Marechal is an interactive designer, installation artist and filmmaker, and a specialist tutor on MA Interaction Design Communication at London College of Communication.
Nicolas gained an MSc in Electronic Imaging from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design (University of Dundee) and a BA in Film Practice at the Institute of Broadcasting Studies (Belgium). He started his career by directing, editing documentaries and video art. His work has been either broadcasted or exhibited internationally. Since 2008, he has worked as an interactive artist and designer.
His latest exhibited work, '+soundscape', is an audio interface for a soundscape in collaboration with sound artist Peter Cusack. As an academic, Nicolas is interested in the making culture behind the cinema, his original approach uses design and interactive design to question the film process.
He recently published a paper called: 'Reimagining cinema, searching for an aesthetic of interaction design through cinema'. He is also one of the founders of the Low Tech / High Tech (LTHT) community of practice which includes tutors in textile, spatial design and sound arts from Central Saint Martins, Chelsea, and London College of Communication.
His practice and his teaching include programming. Since 2010, he has developed a tool to teach Max (software) in the visual arts. He also teaches short courses at LCC on Max, computer vision and expanded cinema.
- "Reimagining cinema: searching for an aesthetic of interaction design through cinema, Design for Next 12th EAD Conference, Sapienza University of Rome, 2017 (to be published)
- "Reimagining cinema: a design perspective on film", Tainan University of the Arts (Taiwan), 2014
- Reimagining cinema: a design perspective on film", University of Reims (France), 2013
- "Low-Tech / High-Tech", UAL community of practice, London, 2013
- "Reimagining cinema: a design perspective on film", University of Falmouth, 2013
- "Low-Tech / High-Tech", London Mini Maker Faire, London, 2013
- "Reimagining cinema", Code Control Festival, Phoenix Square, Leicester, 2013
- "Learning Max as a design tool", Crowd and Cloud: Towards a collaborative future, Designs on e-learning, University of the Arts London, September 2012
- "Learning Max as a design tool", Expo’74, New-York University, October 2011.
- "Interactive Cinema: spacCinema: action and moving image", In Between the physical and digital, exploring process, collaboration, and digital divide, London College of Communication, 2010
- IMI Max patches - a learning tool to program Max in the visual arts (2010-present)
- +Soundscape - interactive soundscape installation (2009)
- Intrusion(s) - interactive audio and video installation (2008)
- CITYroom - interactive video installation (2006)
- SILENTcity - Taipei, interactive video art (2005)