This course, based in some of the best facilities in London, offers an introduction to bookbinding; perfect for those who have no experience in making handmade books, or those looking for a refresher. By the end of the course you will walk away with beautiful books you have made by hand...
Taught by: Jane Drinkwater.
This course, based in some of the best facilities in London, offers an introduction to bookbinding; perfect for those who have no experience in making handmade books, or those looking for a refresher. By the end of the course you will walk away with beautiful books you have made by hand.
You will explore various construction techniques using folded as well as single sheet pages and will learn four different sewing methods to produce different styles of books. You will follow a series of step-by-step practical demonstrations covering the basic principles of bookbinding techniques to build up confidence and skills in simple bookbinding.
- Basic principles of bookbinding
- French-sewn Casebound book with cloth cover
- Dissertation style binding - single sheet sewn book with paper cover
- Oriental style binding - sewn with decorative stitch and limp cover
- Coptic style book - exposed sewing on spine with hard cover
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Use four different sewing methods to produce different types of books
- Create simple handmade books using various binding techniques
- Turn you own imagery and text into one-off books or limited editions, perfect for portfolios or presents
Who Should Attend
Artists, designers and enthusiasts looking to produce professionally finished one-off or limited edition books
Follow Up Courses
After you have completed this course you may want to go on and develop your skills in Creative Bookbinding: Traditional and Contemporary.
With a background in design, Jane Drinkwater went on to study traditional craft bookbinding at The London College of Printing, now London College of Communication. With a passion for handmade books she currently divides her time between making bookworks and boxes to commission and teaching creative bookbinding using age-old techniques. Students at LCC have been enjoying having their eyes opened to the possibilities of paper structures in her classes for several years.