03/07/2017 - 21/07/2017
Monday - Friday
10.00 - 16.00
Course Handbook: Download an example Handbook - Filmmaking PDF [464kb]. Each year the content, dates and tutors vary slightly.
If you have any questions, please contact the UAL Study Abroad team.
You will learn how to produce your own short film, shot here in London. You will go from the basics of filmmaking to producing and editing on an intensive, hands-on course. It is suitable for those who want to learn either dramatic or documentary filmmaking...
You will learn how to produce your own short film, shot here in London. You will go from the basics of filmmaking to producing and editing on an intensive, hands-on course. It is suitable for those who want to learn either dramatic or documentary filmmaking.
You will study in intensive workshops, with your own tutor and you will work in teams to make your films. You will assume a variety of roles: writer, producer, director, editor and performer In each area you will be supported and taught by experts. This is an intensive course and you will be expected to work with your team in the evenings and at the weekends.
You will have access to a kit-room stocked with Canon XA10 camcorders, booms and lighting rigs. Once you have finished filming, you can edit your films in our edit suites installed with industry-standard editing software: Avid, Apple Final Cut Pro and Logic, Adobe Creative Cloud Premiere and After Effects.
Most of all the film will be fun. You will come together with like-minded people, sharing the adventure of filmmaking with all its challenges and thrills and you will leave us with a fully-produced short film.
"The course was really good and the tutors were amazing. Made the class very engaging while allowing the knowledge of filmmaking to be presented and being very hands on. Overall it was an incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning the basics of filmmaking while creating a film in the process."
"I really enjoyed the course. The tutors were very patient with all of us and taught us a lot of things from the entire process of filmmaking. The team I worked with was very interested in the project and we work efficiently as a team."
Andy, Chuckie and Jamie were simply amazing. It’s incredible how much I learnt in only 3 weeks."
"Loved the ‘guests’ we had. Andy, Aquiles, Archie, Clive, David, Shealley etc. Very cool course did not miss anything. Enjoyed computers and filming outside."
- Scripting for the short film: the idea, the story arc, writing convincing dialogues, the creation of credible character and character in action
- The elements of miss-en-scene: how to do settings, to tell stories
- The key grammar of film: how to shoot so that your footage will always edit back together: how to use the full range of shot sizes and angles to construct meaning, how to ensure that your film looks professional in every way
- How to record location sound
- How to edit your materials together so that they are seamless
Please see our sample course handbook for more course information. Please note that the content for 2016 will be mostly the same, although dates and tutors may vary slightly.
- Academic - You should have some previous undergraduate study, but, you do not need any prior experience of filmmaking. If you are coming from North America you should have a GPA of around 3.0 or higher. If you have questions about your academic background, please email us - email@example.com
- English - You should be proficient in written and spoken English and be able to participate in group discussions and make presentations. As a guideline we would expect you to have an IELTS score of 6.0. The Language Centre at University of the Arts London offers English courses for overseas students.
How to Apply
To apply for this course please complete the Summer Study Abroad Application form online. If you have any questions, please contact the UAL Study Abroad team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Take a look at our Summer School courses on Instagram
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.