WordPress Blogging for Photographers and Artists
Artists and photographers who actively blog are positioning themselves within a community of practitioners, who act as peers, mentors, critical friends, and even potential colleagues. This course, through the acquisition of new skills and attitudes, encourages students and practitioners to reflect upon and evaluate their work in a worldwide context...
Taught by: Stephen Mepsted.
Artists and photographers who actively blog are positioning themselves within a community of practitioners, who act as peers, mentors, critical friends, and even potential colleagues. This course, through the acquisition of new skills and attitudes, encourages students and practitioners to reflect upon and evaluate their work in a worldwide context.
Blogging provides a platform for the dissemination of focused practice: ideas, visuals, the written word, opinions and thoughts all foster dialogue and critical feedback skills. For the student studying photography and creative arts courses, the practice of blogging helps to create a well organised individual – capable of consistent reflective thinking and assessment; of their own and others work. This course also develops students’ writing skills, which are necessary to become an effective communicator and promoter of ideas and practice.
Through workshops, structured lessons, and a hands on approach you will learn how to use the free WordPress blogging platform to build a new digital portfolio of your images and words and reach a potentially worldwide audience. Your first posts will receive constructive feedback from the group and a whole new audience for your work.
- What are blogs? Why create a blog?
- Good blogs and good practice
- Blog set-up
- Identifying your audience
- Writing a personal statement
- How to write for the Web
- Optimising your content – Keywords, Description and SEO for Google
- Practice idea-generation techniques
- Introduction to ‘Themes’ and ‘Premium Themes’
- Tools and functions of blogs
- 'The Top Ten Tools' for each and every post
- Understand Pages vs. Posts
- Uploading pictures to make a variety of galleries and slideshows
- Publishing and growing your content on Social Media platforms
- Maintaining your Blogging practice
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Create your own WordPress.com blog using your own photographs, artwork and writing
- Possess skills, both technical and practical, to consistently maintain and adapt your blog
- Receive and engage with worldwide feedback and new followers
Who Should Attend
Photography and creative arts students, creative professionals, and anyone looking to build an online presence.
Beginner: Students will have one or two projects that are ready for sharing via the WordPress platform.
We also offer bespoke wordpress courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training page
Steve Mepsted is a photographer and artist with a special interest in Documentary Photography and Portraiture. He divides his time between Photography practice and teaching. His first degree was in Fine Art Painting and he holds a Masters Degree in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography from London College of Communication. Steve is an experienced teacher and presenter with over 20 years of practice. He has exhibited widely, and writes for publication in magazine, blog and book form. His work draws upon his previous experience in Fine Art and he is interested in exploring fresh ways of presenting photographs: from the gallery, in books, via installation and through the use of sound and text.-
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.