If you use a computer as part of your daily role, including a laptop, then you will need to complete a Workstation Assessment.
('Workstation' refers to your immediate working environment and includes your desk, chair, display screen, computer processor, keyboard, mouse and any other desk-based equipment such as telephone and copy holder).
When should I complete a Workstation Assessment?
- When starting a new job
- If you move to a different desk or location
- If you experience significant health changes that may affect your workstation set-up, for example when returning to work after an operation, changes to vision / hearing / mobility, pregnancy, upper limb disorders
How do I complete a Workstation Assessment?
At UAL we use an online workstation training and risk assessment package called 'Complywise'.
To access Complywise please go to http://complywise.arts.ac.uk/.
Complywise can only be used by University of the Arts London staff. Please note that if you are attempting to log on to Complywise at home or away from the University then you will need to request 'Remote Access' from IT Services. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I log on to Complywise?
- Click on the link above or type: http://complywise.arts.ac.uk into the address bar of your web browser.
- Select Training and Assessment from the drop down menu.
- Enter your UAL email address in the box below.
- Enter the default password 'arts'.
- Once logged on add your Personnel details and click submit.
- You will then be taken through to the Courses and Risk Assessments page where you will be able to change your password to something memorable by clicking on the “Edit Password” link at the top right hand corner of the screen.
- You are now ready to begin your 'Health and Safety Training for DSE (Display Screen Equipment) Users'. Click on 'Launch' next to the course title and follow the instructions.
- Once you have completed the training module you will then need to complete the assessment. Click on the 'Risk Assessments' tab and click on 'Launch' next to 'Risk Assessment for DSE Users'.
If you experience difficulties with Complywise please contact the Health and Safety Administrator, email@example.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A paper based system is still available to those who need it.
What happens next?
Once you have completed a Workstation Assessment, your Line Manager will receive an email. They should follow the link in the email, complete the Complywise training module (this only needs to be done once) and then access the assessment report, resolving the concerns they can.
In the first instance you and your Line Manager should attempt to resolve any concerns raised. If you are unable to resolve the concerns raised please contact your Local Health and Safety Advisor.
Your Local Health and Safety Advisor may recommend that you try out a specialist item of computer or workstation equipment, depending on your concern. The central Health and Safety Team has a small lending library of Display Screen Equipment which you can borrow on a trial basis. Please see our webpage on the DSE (Display Screen Equipment) Lending Scheme for details.
Where can I find out more information?
For further guidance on safe ways of working with computers please read the following HSE (Health & Safety Executive) document on Working with VDUs (Visual Display Units)
The following web-link offers posture guidance and exercises: http://www.ergoergo.info/index.html