Starting up as a Freelance Make-up Artist (Online Short Course)
This unique course teaches the business skills required to build a lucrative career and succeed in the world of freelance makeup artistry. This professional short course dissects all aspects of the industry, how it works and how to work successfully within it, the information often only touched upon in practical courses...
Taught by: Lucy Gibson.
This unique course teaches the business skills required to build a lucrative career and succeed in the world of freelance makeup artistry. This professional short course dissects all aspects of the industry, how it works and how to work successfully within it, the information often only touched upon in practical courses. It has been designed for new and aspiring makeup artists looking for information on how to navigate the world of freelance makeup artistry, as well as for more seasoned artists looking to improve their current careers.
This in-depth course reveals the secrets it takes makeup artists years of industry experience to learn. Find out how to build an effective portfolio, how to promote yourself within the industry, how to negotiate fees, gain agency representation, build your kit and much more. You will also work through the course to build a personalised and workable career plan, based upon your own unique style, strengths, circumstances and career aspirations.
Please note: This course is aimed at those wishing to pursue a career in makeup for bridal/private clients, fashion, celebrity or commercial work. It does not cover the world of TV and film makeup artistry.
- Choosing a makeup career path
- Promoting yourself within the industry
- Building a portfolio
- Building a kit
- How to gain assisting work and what is expected
- Working with agencies
- Registering as self-employed, tax, insurance and more
- Negotiating rates and when to work for "free"
- Social media and website building
- Test shoots and editorial
- Artist/Client relationships
- How to find work and retain clients
By the end of this course you will have;
- Gained valuable insights into the world of freelance makeup artistry
- Learnt techniques to promote yourself within the industry
- Developed an understanding of how to work professionally with clients
- Developed an understanding of the role and importance of agencies and how they can help your career
- Practiced techniques to negotiate rates
- Learnt important practical information on how to begin working as a freelancer
- Received full and comprehensive notes and a personalised career plan to take away.
Who Should Attend
This course is absolutely essential for anyone seriously considering a career as a freelance makeup artist, and seeking to quickly learn the essential skills and understanding to start and grow your business. The focus of this course is on starting up a business, rather than practical makeup skills, so you should already be skilled in makeup artistry to get the most out of this course.
Level: Intermediate: you will need makeup artistry skills
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over.
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Lucy Gibson’s makeup work spans the fashion, celebrity and commercial industries, where she spends a lot of her time working with music artists in particular. Past celebrity clients include the likes of Rita Ora, Haim, Marina and The Diamonds, Katy B, Kelis and many more. Her work has appeared in the pages of Vogue, Tatler, Marie Claire, Wonderland and Dazed and Confused, while commercial clients range from Vivienne Westwood to Nike. So far her career has taken her from backstage at Glastonbury to Moscow’s Red Square, as well as Fashion Weeks in London and Paris where she has assisted the likes of Alex Box and Lucia Pieroni. Lucy also runs the makeup blog for makeup artists at MascaraWars.com and loves having the opportunity to meet and teach the makeup artists of the future at LCF!
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.