Special Effects Makeup for Film and TV
This special effects course will introduce you to many aspects of film and TV makeup designs ranging from natural beauty and HD ready techniques through to period make-up, face painting, ageing make-up and special effects such as cuts, scars and skin disorders...
Taught by: Susanna Peretz.
This special effects course will introduce you to many aspects of film and TV makeup designs ranging from natural beauty and HD ready techniques through to period make-up, face painting, ageing make-up and special effects such as cuts, scars and skin disorders.
We will focus on creating believable makeup designs through attention to detail, and you will come out of the course with the ability to convey a different age, health and personality through your use of special effects.
Film & TV makeup techniques:
- Principles of corrective theory
- Highlight and shade - contouring effects
- Period make-up look
- Textural aging effects to create lines and wrinkles
- Feature distortion with greasepaint
- An overview of the human skull/using the principles of light and shade to create 3D illusory effects
- Bald cap application
The second week focuses on more specialised skills of makeup effects. We will discuss how to identify and create realistic and believable trauma makeup for film, including cuts and bruises, black eyes and burns, as well as how to maintain special effects make-up on set for the duration of filming.
Special effects makeup techniques:
- An overview of the human facial muscle structure
- Wax prosthetics - building the nose / working with wax products / product analysis and use
- Blocking the eyebrows
- Cuts / lacerations / grazing / scarring / skin disorders / creating direct applied effects using a variety of materials
- Black eyes and bruising effects
- Techniques for creating bruising and swelling
- Burn effects / use of direct applied materials to create instant effects
- Health and safety practice crucial for the use of hazardous industry-specific products and materials
Our makeup courses take place in our makeup studios housed within our Lime Grove site in West London.
This is a beginners/intermediate makeup course. It's suitable if you've no previous experience or if you'd like to use the course as a refresher to kick start your career.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Please bring the following items with you to each class:
- Your own mascara
- Makeup remover/cleanser, and moisturiser (as you will be expected to practise on each other)
- Notepad and pen
A professional brush set from beauty supplier Fero will be available to purchase at the first lesson at a subsidised cost of £70 (approx. retail cost £150 - cash/credit card only). This covers the minimum amount of brushes required to complete the course.
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|12/06/2017 - 23/06/2017||Monday - Friday||09:30 - 16:30||10 Days||£1595||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|23/09/2017 - 25/11/2017||Saturday||10:00 - 17:00||10 Weeks||£1595||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|11/12/2017 - 22/12/2017||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:00||10 Days||£1500||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|13/01/2018 - 17/03/2018||Saturday||10:00 - 17:00||10 Weeks||£1500||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|