Editorial Styling and Creative Direction
This in-depth creative direction for fashion short course will introduce you to the fashion image, fashion media styling, editorial styling and creative direction. You will gain insider knowledge and industry advice and be given the cultural and historical context of the image in fashion media...
Taught by: John William.
This in-depth creative direction for fashion short course will introduce you to the fashion image, fashion media styling, editorial styling and creative direction. You will gain insider knowledge and industry advice and be given the cultural and historical context of the image in fashion media. By the end of the course you will have directed and styled a number of fashion shoots and your best work will be used in the production of a professionally printed class 'zine.
What is included:
- History of the fashion stylist
- A practical guide and tips for working as a fashion stylist and preparing shoots
- Style and direct a number of fashion shoots including a fashion editorial shoot with professional photographer/lighting technician
- Visits to London exhibitions, and fashion hotspots with a guide to street style spotting and a trend safari around London
- Basic Photoshop & InDesign skills
- Basic studio lighting & photographic skills
- Studio shoots with different technical lighting and photographic styles
- Creation of a personal portfolio of fashion images showing your own styling and creative direction
- Guide to creating and maintaining your own fashion blog
- Choosing images - looking at what worked well / what didn’t
- Designing a 'zine using your own styling shots
You will leave the course with 3 copies of the printed 'zine and a personal fashion blog.
This course is suitable for beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
John William began his career in fashion as a journalist and launched Pigeons & Peacocks magazine with London College of Fashion. He has written for magazines as diverse as The Sunday Times Style and Dazed and Confused. John has been working as a freelance stylist for the past 6 years and has contributed to an international roster of publications including Vice, i-D, Nylon, Paper and Bullett magazine. He has had his work exhibited globally including a 2011 show curated by photographer Rankin and a 2014 collaboration with the Museum of London. John's experience in industry spans marketing, consultancy, trend forecasting and creative direction, and he teaches across a number of BA courses at LCF. He currently works as a stylist and artist and his work often includes props and custom made pieces of his own design.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notebook and pen
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera (if you have one)
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|05/12/2016 - 23/12/2016||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:00||15 Days||£1850||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|20/03/2017 - 07/04/2017||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:00||15 Days||£1850||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|19/06/2017 - 06/07/2017||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:00||15 Days||£1850||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|21/08/2017 - 08/09/2017||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:15||15 Days||£1850||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|