Editorial Styling and Creative Direction
This in-depth creative direction for fashion short course will introduce you to the fashion image, the contemporary fashion media, editorial styling and creative direction. You will gain insider knowledge and industry advice and be given the cultural and historical context of the image in fashion media...
Taught by: John William.
This in-depth creative direction for fashion short course will introduce you to the fashion image, the contemporary fashion media, editorial styling and creative direction. You will gain insider knowledge and industry advice and be given the cultural and historical context of the image in fashion media. By the end of the course you will have directed and styled a number of fashion shoots and your best work will be used in the production of a professionally printed class 'zine.
The course includes:
- History of the fashion stylist
- Who are the key figures influencing fashion right now?
- What is Creative Direction? And how does it impact brand identity and the fashion image.
- A practical guide and tips for working as a fashion stylist and preparing shoots
- How to communicate with different professionals within the fashion industry (Editors, PRs, Model Agencies…)
- You will style and direct a number of fashion shoots including a fashion editorial shoot with professional photographer and make up artist
- Visits to London exhibitions, and fashion hotspots with a guide to street style spotting and a trend safari around London
- What is a trend? And how can we forecast fashion and lifestyle trends
- Basic Photoshop & InDesign skills
- Basic studio lighting & photographic skills
- Studio shoots with different technical lighting and photographic styles
- Creation of a personal portfolio of fashion images showing your own styling and creative direction
- Exploration of the contemporary Fashion Industry, and how the internet has impacted on traditional fashion media
- How to edit images into a story. How Art Direction impacts on the fashion image.
- Designing a 'zine using your own directed and styled shots.
- You will leave the course with 3 copies of the printed 'zine and digital copies of all of the imagery you created on the course.
There is some overlap of course material on both John William’s Fashion Media Styling: Editorial course and this course. It is recommended that you only take one of these courses.
This course is suitable for beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
John William began his career in fashion as a journalist and launched Pigeons & Peacocks magazine with London College of Fashion. He has written for magazines as diverse as The Sunday Times Style and Dazed and Confused. John has been working as a freelance stylist for the past 6 years and has contributed to an international roster of publications including Vice, i-D, Nylon, Paper and Bullett magazine. He has had his work exhibited globally including a 2011 show curated by photographer Rankin and a 2014 collaboration with the Museum of London. John's experience in industry spans marketing, consultancy, trend forecasting and creative direction, and he teaches across a number of BA courses at LCF. He currently works as a stylist and artist and his work often includes props and custom made pieces of his own design.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notebook and pen
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera (if you have one)
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|21/08/2017 - 08/09/2017||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:00||15 Days||£1850||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|04/12/2017 - 22/12/2017||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:00||15 Days||£1850||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|
|19/03/2018 - 10/04/2018||Monday - Friday||10:00 - 17:00||15 Days||£1850||Available||Lime Grove - W12||Add to Basket|