Mastering Fashion Drawing and Illustration
This comprehensive course will help you develop your ideas and creative skills through the media of drawing and illustration. You will be taught how to express your designs figuratively and how to transfer your ideas onto paper. You will discover and develop your own visual language, acquiring a range of illustration techniques and will use a variety of conventional and new media techniques...
Taught by: Tutor to be confirmed.
This comprehensive course will help you develop your ideas and creative skills through the media of drawing and illustration. You will be taught how to express your designs figuratively and how to transfer your ideas onto paper. You will discover and develop your own visual language, acquiring a range of illustration techniques and will use a variety of conventional and new media techniques. You will continue to master your drawing and illustration skills while developing your work for professional practice, working towards completing a professional portfolio of illustrations.
The first term will concentrate on descriptive drawing and it is designed to help you explore drawing styles and techniques in the context of drawing for fashion. We'll show you how to express your designs figuratively and how to get your ideas on paper. You'll learn to draw a fashion figure, confidently use drawing as a part of your design process, sketch and render garments and seamlessly combine figures with clothing. By the end of the term, you will have mastered skills for drawing a fashion figure and clothing, and be proficient in using pencils, markers, colour pencils and various pens. You will know the ins and outs of drawing throughout the design process, be able to communicate design ideas more freely and effectively and have a collection of drawings for your portfolio.
During this term the bellow topics will be explored:
- Sketching for fashion and introduction to different mediums
- Drawing a fashion figure
- Gesture, movement and pose
- Drawing hands, faces, hair and feet
- Drawing garments - fashion silhouettes, cut and style of different garments
- Drawing drapery
- Drawing garments in detail – introduction to shading and rendering with markers and colour pencils
- Depicting different fabric and texture
- Drawing details, print and embellishment
- Communicating fashion through your drawings
- Creating a fashion collection line-up drawings
The second term will concentrate on more expressive styles of drawing and visual communication and give you a chance to improve your creative skills and ideas using fashion illustration. This part of the course is designed to help develop your personal illustrating style and enable you to assemble a portfolio of fashion illustrations. You will study different methods of illustration and learn conventional and new media techniques. This term, the emphasis will be on you developing your own illustrating style and learning to use different media. By the end of the term you will be uncovering your own visual language using illustration and unlocking your creativity through experimentation and exploration.
During this term bellow topics will be explored:
- Introduction to Fashion Illustration
- Importance of visual research
- Developing your visual vocabulary
- Exploring different media and techniques
- Interpreting concepts and ideas
- Developing a personal illustrating style
- Exploring colour
- Working with mixed media, watercolours, ink, gouache, acrylics, markers, pastels, etc
- Understanding the wider role of fashion illustration
The third term will concentrate on professional practice. You will be developing skills to enable you to apply your illustrations professionally. During this term, the assignments are set to emulate working to industry briefs and you will be illustrating many exciting projects. You will learn how to process and prepare your illustrations for print and web. You will also gain a basic knowledge of Adobe software and its applications for illustration. The third term is structured to help you create a professional portfolio of illustrations. Your personal illustrating style will be strengthened and refined. During this term you will gain both analogue and digital skills to be able to showcase your work successfully. You will master drawing and illustration, from concept to completion.
Topics explored during the final term are:
- Following a creative brief
- From analogue to digital – Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and IPad apps
- Scanning and preparing your illustrations
- Basic Adobe Photoshop techniques for illustration
- Basic Adobe Illustrator techniques for illustration
- Using IPad for illustration
- Creating final artwork
- Being a freelance illustrator
- Available resources for illustration
Beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
Due to the length of this course International Students who hold a passport from a country that is outside the EEA or Switzerland must already have immigration permission to stay in the UK which covers the full length of the course and has no restrictions on studying.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Selection of soft pencils e.g. B2, B4, B6 or similar
- Graphite stick
- Any previous drawing or illustration work you may have
Your tutor will talk you through additional materials on the first day of the course.