Fashion Design: Menswear
This follow-on course will provide you with a full overview of contemporary menswear design, exploring the most relevant and interesting aspects of this section of the fashion industry. You will learn essential skills through hands on tutorials and experimenting with creative processes that are used in high-end fashion houses...
Taught by: Amber Siegel.
This follow-on course will provide you with a full overview of contemporary menswear design, exploring the most relevant and interesting aspects of this section of the fashion industry.
You will learn essential skills through hands on tutorials and experimenting with creative processes that are used in high-end fashion houses. You will gain an understanding of the fashion calendar and design principles, and will learn trade tips and practices.
You will be taught research techniques, learning how to find dynamic and varied inspiration to develop your design ideas. The course includes trend spotting, product refinement, editing, fabric sourcing and how to translate your creative ideas in to practical designs for commerce.
The course includes:
- Visits and trips so some of the world’s most famous galleries/museums and archive
- Evaluating and researching renowned fashion influencers and various design philosophies
- Fashion design analysis
- Primary and secondary research
- Use of the London College of Fashion library
- Refining design ideas for your chosen market and sector
- Product history and consumer markets
- Creating mood boards, fabric selection and colour relevance
- Trend forecasting and analysis
- Exploring media, taste-makers, influencers and press communication tools
- Communicating ideas through fashion illustration
- Requirements for working with manufacturers and sampling of designs
- Fabric experimentation
- The importance of branding and reaching your target consumer
Intermediate. You should have either completed 'Introduction to Fashion Design,' 'Fashion Design: Intensive' or have relevant experience.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Amber Siegel graduated from LCF with a first in Menswear and started designing for various luxury brands before creating her own brand with her partner Wouter Baartmans, who she met while at Viktor & Rolf, and who are united in their belief of beautiful craftsmanship and imaginative design. Their brand, ‘Baartmans and Siegel’ is fast becoming recognisable by their use of interactive textures and sharp tailoring. Amber manages to combine building her brand and business with tutoring at London College of Fashion.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- An A3 layout pad
- Pencils and fine black fibre tip pens
- Glue stick
- Magic marker or brush pen in your choice of skin tone
These can be purchased from any good art shop. As part of your research you will be required to do some printing. Please bring a small amount of cash to the course on your first day to credit your printing account. It is unlikely you will need to spend more than £5.
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.