Basics of Bag Making
This unique course will give you a broad overview of the bag making process and current production methods. The course takes place in our industrial workshops in Golden Lane, so you can see the industrial machinery that is used in bag construction...
Taught by: Selina Cheong, Georgie Tym.
This unique course will give you a broad overview of the bag making process and current production methods. The course takes place in our industrial workshops in Golden Lane, so you can see the industrial machinery that is used in bag construction. By discussing and examining different bag types you will begin to understand construction, the importance of material selection and how to avoid the problems that can arise in production.
- Look at common types of constructions (showing examples) - explaining differences between seam types to achieve soft bags and structured bags.
- Look at leathers best suited for each type of construction or how this can be achieved with fabrics also.
- Fabrics and leathers – selection decisions
- Cost, strength, suitability, testing
- Quality and its influence on price
Common faults and issues:
- Importance of accurate specification sheets
- Bad workmanship vs design faults
- Importance of contract and own testing
Dealing with factories:
- Various operations of factories
- Open discussion on issues which arise
- Importance of specific instruction and not over complicating
- Sampling costs
- MOQ for production
- QC / QA documents to ensure high standards
- Responsibility of background checks on the factory.
Beginners. You should have an interest in the subject area and a desire to learn but no previous experience is required.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Georgie Tym graduated from Cordwainers at London College of Fashion and since then has worked for many luxury accessories companies, gaining extensive industry experience. Georgie is involved with the product at every stage of design and creation; from 2D to 3D realisation. Her most recent role covered the design, development, sampling and production at a tannery in Somerset, re-branding a luxury leather goods brand. She has a broad and in depth knowledge of the leather industry and enjoys sharing this as a tutor on LCF BA (HONS) CORDWAINERS FASHION BAGS AND ACCESSORIES course as well as the short courses at LCF. Georgie also continues to offer a bespoke bag making service, specialising in functional accessories for bicycles. http://handsoftym.com/
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notebook and pen
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|09/11/2016 - 09/11/2016||Wednesday||10:00 - 17:00||1 Day||£225||Available||Golden Lane - EC1Y||Add to Basket|
|10/02/2017 - 10/02/2017||Friday||10:00 - 17:00||1 Day||£225||Available||Golden Lane - EC1Y||Add to Basket|
|30/03/2017 - 30/03/2017||Thursday||10:00 - 17:00||1 Day||£225||Available||Golden Lane - EC1Y||Add to Basket|
|11/08/2017 - 11/08/2017||Friday||10:00 - 17:00||1 Day||£225||Available||Golden Lane - EC1Y||Add to Basket|