Living In London


London life and culture

London is an extraordinary city, full of art and culture, whilst also being one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. The underground system means that it is easy to get around and see what the city has to offer, and all of our college buildings are in walking distance of cultural institutions – from Tate Britain and the British Museum to the intimate studios of emerging international artists. 

To get a better idea, have a look at a recent Pre-Departure Guide‌ advice and information about what you can expect, where to go, what to see and how to get involved in the student social scene. (An updated version of this guide is sent to all students joining us on Study Abroad).  


Housing is guaranteed at one of the halls of residence (dorms or apartments) managed by University of the Arts London, if you apply for a place by your programme’s deadline. Security arrangements at all halls are excellent, and include CCTV and either a 24 hour presence or 24 hour help desk on call. 

The Accommodation Advice Centre, is our one-stop-shop for support and advice on housing. Whether you choose to live in one of the University’s halls of residence or in privately rented accommodation, Housing Services can provide information and advice to help you to find a suitable place to live.

Accommodation Services makes special arrangements for Study Abroad students and allows you, wherever possible, to take on a shorter than normal tenancy agreement at halls of residence. If you do receive an offer of halls of residence accommodation you will be asked to sign a tenancy agreement, which is a binding legal contract for the period of your stay.

Visit Accommodation Services’ website for information and an application form. (Please read ‘how to apply’ before applying for accommodation).

Summer Study Abroad - Accommodation is available through a range of providers for summer school students. Please see visit the Short Stay Accommodation page.

Health advice

It is important to consider your health needs during your stay in England. If you are studying here for more than 6 months, you are entitled to full use of our National Health Service (NHS) which entitles you to consultations with a doctor and hospital treatment free of charge.

If you are studying on a course of six months or less, you are only entitled to emergency treatment free of charge. You will need, therefore, to have private health insurance in place if you want to be fully covered for your health needs. If, however, you are a national of an EU country or from certain countries that have reciprocal arrangements with the UK, you will be entitled to free NHS treatment, regardless of the length of your stay.

Visit the University's Health Advice pages.


Money and budgeting

To get the most out of London, however, we recommend you allow a minimum of £15,000 for a nine-month academic year, to cover accommodation, food, return flight and travel in London, books, materials and other day-to-day expenses.

Please note that, if you are coming here from outside the EU, the UK Border Agency, which issues visas, will want to see that you have enough money to maintain yourself and get home at the end of your stay. 


Paid work and interning

If you come into the country on a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, you will be allowed to be in paid employment for up to 20 hours per week during term time and unlimited hours during the vacations.
If you come in on a Student Visitors Visa, you will not be allowed to work, cannot stay for more than 6 months, and cannot extend your stay once you are here. 
European Economic Area nationals can work while they study here.

Social life & the Students' Union

As a student at the university, you automatically become a member of its Arts SU. SUARTS runs student bars, organises social events and parties, runs sports clubs and societies, and provides representation for students.

Student services

The University's Student Services offers professional assistance and guidance for students with practical or personal concerns. The support available includes information, advice and guidance, accommodation advice, disabilities support, an international students coordinator, a professional counselling service, a careers service and a nursery.