Frequently Asked Questions


Financial aid


Do I need a visa? 

If you will be travelling to the UK on a passport issued by a country within the European Union, European Economic Area (EEA – Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland, you do NOT require a visa and there are no immigration restrictions while you are in the UK.

If you will be travelling to the UK on a passport issued from a country outside the EU/EEA, you will need a visa to enter the country, and you may be subject to additional restrictions while you are in the UK.

If I need a visa, which one should I apply for?

Students who require a visa to enter the UK should do so either on a 'Tier 4 General Student Visa' or a 'Short-term Study Visa'. 

The majority of students joining the Study Abroad programme at University of the Arts London do so on a Short-term Study Visa. This category of visa is for students who are joining a university course for less than six months and who do not intend to work while they are in the UK. 

The Tier 4 category of visa is only intended for students who are studying on a course that is longer than 6 months and/or need to work (either paid or unpaid) while in the UK. 

Find out more about the differences between the two visas.

How do I apply for a visa?   

If you intend to apply for a Short-term study visa:

  • First, you will need to establish whether you are a 'visa national' or a 'non-visa national'. To check if you are a visa national, please visit the following website:   

Visa nationals

Apply online for a Short-term study visa before travelling to the UK.

We strongly recommend that you read the following guidance before making an application. The documents you submit with your application must be originals, or your application will be rejected.

Supporting documents guidance - visitors and direct airside transit

Non-visa nationals (including nationals of Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada and the USA)

You can apply for a visa upon entry to the UK by presenting your passport and Short-term study visa letter (issued by the Study Abroad Office) to immigration officials at your port of entry.

If you intend to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa:

You will need to apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa before you travel; you cannot apply more than 90 days before the start date of your UAL course and the documents you submit must be originals or your application will be rejected.

Before you apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, we strongly encourage you to read this guidance from the International Office.

What if I enter the UK via Ireland?

If you need a visa to study in the UK and intend to enter the country via the Republic of Ireland, please read this important advice from the UK Council for International Student Affairs

What financial aid am I entitled to?

All six Colleges of University of the Arts London are Title IV Registered. Eligible students who are enrolled on a Semester Study Abroad programme here can continue to take out financial aid via their home institution.

However, Study Abroad students are not eligible to receive US Federal or private loans through our institution.

Should you wish to take out a US loan, please contact your home institution’s Financial Aid office. University of the Arts London is able to enter into a consortium agreement and this should be arranged via your home institution.

Contact international with further questions.

Are there any scholarships or prizes for Study Abroad students?

University of the Arts London Award for Study Abroad

UAL Study Abroad makes four awards of £1,500 each academic year, to support outstanding students who have been accepted onto a Study Abroad programme at any of our six Colleges. 

Applications for spring 2017 will open in October. 

You may also wish to apply to the following two organisations for scholarships: 

The Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program

The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000.

This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to paricipate in study or intern programmes worldwide. Further details are available at 

BUTEX (British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association

BUTEX awards a number of scholarships to students studying abroad for either a semester or for a whole academic year. The value of each scholarship is £500. Details are available at

Are there differences between the Colleges?

Each of the Colleges have their own distinct feel and ways of teaching.

Find out more about the Study Abroad programmes at each College: