Architectural Drawing (Online)
Online courses occur as 1.5 hour live sessions, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
The new online course is aimed at students planning a study of architecture and spatial design related fields. Also individuals who are new to architecture and who are keen to understand the language and practicalities of the design process and lastly professionals in any design or architectural discipline who want to refresh their hand drawing skills in a new, cutting-edge way of a virtual learning environment...
Taught by: Nahed Jawad.
Course Schedule - 8 weeks: 1.5 hours of class per week
Introduction to the virtual learning platform. Overview of the course, basics of architectural drawing.
Your city, your favourite building, research through drawing
Site observational drawings.
Program research and Archetype
Concept and Ideas. How to start drawing an architectural idea
Plans, sections, elevation and perspective drawings
Please refer to your joining instructions about getting set up for your first session. Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here: http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/short-courses-online/frequentlyaskedquestions/)
Since 2006 Nahed Jawad has moved to London from her home in Damascus, worked at Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) for three years, gained a Master's degree in Architecture and Urbanism from the Architectural Association School of Architecture (AA) in Design Research Laboratory (DRL) in 2010, taught at the Bartlett school of architecture, attended countless critiquing sessions--whether at The Bartlett, Westminster or Southbank--and most importantly became a PhD Candidate in Architectural Design at The Bartlett School of Architecture in 2012. Nahed is also Editor at LOBBY magazine, The Bartlett's newest publication.
Please bring to your first session:
Digital camera, USB card or a scanner and a way to download images to any laptop.
- Sketchbook or notebook (A4 or A5 sizes are ideal)
- Pens for sketching, Extra Fine, Fine, Medium and thicker ( Uniball as an example)
- Clutch Pencil for technical drafting
- Sharpener for clutch pencil
- Eraser holder with an eraser
- Erasing shield
- Scale Rule with the following scales: 1:1/1:100, 1:20/1:200, 1:5/1:50, 1:1250/1:2500
- Tape measure ( at least 5 meters)
- Adjustable set square (20 cm minimum)
- A3 tracing pad (minimum 60 gsm - but a heavier weight may be better as it is more forgiving)
- Masking tape or Scotch (3M) Drafting Tape (25 mm wide)
- Simple A3 portfolio case or A3 carrying case.
Items required for the latter half of the course:
- Felt tip technical drawing pens (in: 0.1 size nib, 0.3 size nib, 0.50 size nib)
- Adjustable compass (with drawing pen attachment).