Summer Study Abroad - Experimental Fashion Knitwear
This course offers a taster of the BA Fashion Design with Knitwear at Central Saint Martins. You will be shown how to initiate ideas through your sketchbooks and how to explore your research and develop fashion and fabric designs from it...more information below
Taught by: Sarah Gresty
This course offers a taster of the BA Fashion Design with Knitwear at Central Saint Martins. You will be shown how to initiate ideas through your sketchbooks and how to use your research to develop fashion and fabric designs. With a series of workshops covering techniques such as machine and hand knitting, crochet, embroidery and smocking, you will be encouraged to design and produce a range of fashion and fabric ideas.
Who should take this course?
This course will suit students with a very creative design aesthetic in fashion as well as those who wish to develop and specialise in knit and other related fabrics.
- You will learn how to edit your work and where to concentrate your technical abilities with support from professional technicians and pattern cutters.
- The first two weeks will be spent experimenting and developing your technical expertise.
- By the end of the first 2 weeks you will have chosen 1 fashion look or silhouette which will you develop and produce during your third week for presentation on the final day.
- Throughout the 3 weeks you will be expected to explore London's museums, markets, cafes and clubs to inform your design development.
- You will be encouraged to come up with design solutions that are contemporary and relevant.
- You will receive peer and individual assessment and will potentially develop a strong and successful design project.
Sarah Gresty is the Course Director for BA Fashion Central Saint Martins and a knitwear design consultant who has worked on projects for Versace, Karl Lagerfield, Chloe, Chanel, Lacroix and Balenciaga amongst others.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- tape measure
- needle and thread
Material provided by us: We will supply sketchbooks and a selection of yarns.
Summer Study Abroad - Experimental Fashion Knitwear [PDF 244KB] course handbook.
Applicants must have completed at least 1 year of undergraduate-level study and have prior experience in fashion.