Fashion Design and Fabric Awareness
A strong fabric story will provide a solid base for your collection; it will determine the shape and mood you want to present.Aimed at fashion design students wishing to further their design skills and fabric knowledge. The week will start with classes on fabric awareness and visits directly related to the course content...
Taught by: Maggie Doyle.
A strong fabric story will provide a solid base for your collection; it will determine the shape and mood you want to present.
Aimed at fashion design students wishing to further their design skills and fabric knowledge. The week will start with classes on fabric awareness and visits directly related to the course content. The remainder of the week will be spent developing your personal design templates and applying your fabric knowledge to the garments you wish to design.
By the end of the course, you will have produced a small fabric sample folder. This will provide you with an invaluable tool when starting a collection.
Colours and textures in these fabrics will influence your designs and garments.
- Organised visits to help you understand the fashion industry and how it works
- Learning the basics of weaves and yarns and how to identify them in professional salons and trade fairs
- The fabrics that designers use today in their collections
- Design development together with constructing a comprehensive fabric range
- You will form your own body of design work coordinated with relevant fabrics for your chosen market
Who should take this course?
The course aims to teach students of all abilities and levels of experience.
It is designed to be of interest to all students wishing to work within a creative industry that uses fabric and designs skills..
Fashion, textile and costume designers would benefit from this course.
Entry requirements: None
"Maggie is one of the best tutors ever" - S Cerezo, Jan 2017
"It was great to have a teacher that adapted to everyone's level by helping, informing and teaching according to the abilities of each participant. She was very encouraging" - C Pardo, Jan 2017
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A4 Marker or layout paper
- A4 fine card for fabric samples
- Your own preferred design materials for drawing, including coloured pencils, markers, inks etc.
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.