Drawing and Painting for Fabric and Textile Design (Online)
Online courses occur as 1.5 hour live sessions, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
Drawing and painting are essential skills for textile designers, and this course will help you develop the techniques you need to create exciting textile, surface and fabric designs, whether you are starting out or developing your career. You will join an international group of creative artists, and through practical projects you will experiment and develop your ideas following Central Saint Martins creative approach to fashion study...
Taught by: Dominique L'Olive.
Drawing and painting are essential skills for textile designers, and this course will help you develop the techniques you need to create exciting textile, surface and fabric designs, whether you are starting out or developing your career. You will join an international group of creative artists, and through practical projects you will experiment and develop your ideas following Central Saint Martins creative approach to fashion study.
- Completing meaningful visual research
- Designing Patterns
- Painting on Fabric
- Creating Textile Prints
- Stamps and Stencils
- Painting on Fabric
- Flower and leaf motif
- Developing a Textile Design
- Designing a collection
- Marion, former student
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed confidence in hands-on textile design
- Sourced and conducted visual research
- Used a range of painting and drawing techniques to create textile prints
- Understand how to develop a textile design from an intiial idea through to a finished concept
- Produced a body of work that will contribute to a portfolio that can be used for the industry or to enter into further study
Who is Drawing and Painting for Fabric and Textile Design (Online) for
The course is perfect for new textile artists, interior designers, students (fine art, textiles or fashion) looking to bolster a portfolio, or anyone who wants to learn new skills with textiles.
Please note: This course is for people ages 18 and over.
About CSM Online Courses
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Group feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please notes that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
After completing a degree in Fashion Textiles at Central Saint Martins, Dominique L'Olive moved on to be a studio manager where she developed and created designs for the UK, Japan and the US. She has since worked with many different companies such as the V&A, Jigsaw, Style Council and Dorothy Perkins, producing a range of textile designs. Dominique currently works as a freelance textile and surface pattern designer and teaches on a range of textile courses at the University of the Arts London.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
You will need the following materials to complete this course
- AB, 2B, and 3B pencil
- Paper scissors, and a scapel/ craft knife
- Selection of acrylic paints, and watercolour inks
- Selection of paintbrushes including one flat 4cm acrylic brush
- Palette to mix paints and inks (well will be essential)
- A3 sketch book
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.