Computers for Textile Design
This course explores the technique of creating repeat patterns and prints for textile design and/or surface pattern design. Throughout this 5-day course you will develop your own ideas using a variety of media sources; drawings, paintings or photography, as a starting point, and will learn to subsequently manipulate your ideas in Photoshop...
Taught by: Shanon Fernandes, Laura Baker.
This course explores the technique of creating repeat patterns and prints for textile design and/or surface pattern design.
Throughout this 5-day course you will develop your own ideas using a variety of media sources; drawings, paintings or photography, as a starting point, and will learn to subsequently manipulate your ideas in Photoshop.
We will explore the creative process and ways to design patterns and prints for textiles while being true to your own style and inspirations, allowing you to present your ideas from inspiration to final concept, in a digital format. We will also explore the use of pantone colours to create design variations by colourways.
Using a Mac computer, we will look at the range of possibilities for:
- Image manipulation in Photoshop.
- Creating pattern motifs from scanned images, sketches, photographs etc.
- Theme focussed mood-boards and colour charts from gathered inspiration and ideas.
- Creating and assigning digital pantone colours to artworks.
- Creating patterns and repeats; from basic repeats to all over seamless repeats.
- Final computer generated presentation of prints on a fashion drawing/sketch.
- Using scanners and printers.
It is advisable that you have some previous experience of designing on a Mac computer.
Adobe Photoshop will be the principal software used.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Shanon has held key digital design roles with high-end Designers and Fashion Houses such as Satyan Kumar Patel, and Ossie Clark London, working alongside the Creative director to develop prints, repeats and colourways for their seasonal collections. She has also worked for various high street brands and supported start-up ventures in fashion and textiles.
Her expertise is at the juncture of fashion, textiles and technology.
Laura Baker is an experienced lecturer in the Textiles programme at Central Saint Martins as well as specialist in 2D print and surface pattern for Fashion and Textiles. She has worked as a textile designer in industry and on a freelance basis for fashion and interiors companies internationally. She is also author of the publication 'Laser Cutting for Fashion and Textiles'.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Some visual material for reference and development ie. sketchbook with your own work or images which interest or inspire you. These could be drawings, designs, paintings or photographs (either digital or printed).
- Please also bring a notebook and pen and a USB stick for storing work.