Applied Surface Design Using Illustrator and Photoshop (Weekend)
This intense two day course will look at the powerful capabilities of using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop when making patterns and repeats. This course is for individuals who already have experience of using Illustrator and Photoshop - if you are new to either program please look at our beginners courses...
Taught by: Suky Best.
This intense two day course will look at the powerful capabilities of using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop when making patterns and repeats. This course is for individuals who already have experience of using Illustrator and Photoshop - if you are new to either program please look at our beginners courses.
Both photoshop and illustrator have incredibly powerful and accurate tools that allow the creation of seamless linear and area repeats. You will learn to make these repeats as blocks and brushes, take existing patterns and rebuild them, deconstruct and analyse repeats.
Who should take this course?
The skills of making patterns and repeats are essential for anyone working in the applied arts, such as product designers, fashion and textile designers and production ceramicists. This course is suitable for anyone who needs to create accurate patterns which will then be printed/applied to a surface.
This is an intermediate level course. You need to have experience of using both Photoshop and Illustrator and are interested in taking your skills to a new level.
Please note that this course will be taught on mac computers using the current version of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- creating seamless repeats in Illustrator & Photoshop
- testing then exporting a single block that can be used by a third party.
- the brushes and their capability within Illustrator, especially pattern brushes made from several pattern tiles
- testing patterns and creating several scales and colourways
- accurate geometric patterns
- accurate circular/serpentine patterns
- half drop, third drop vertical and horizontal patterns
- seamless patterns in Photoshop
- copying an existing pattern and adapting to different uses
- using tools to create simple colour palettes and applying this to patterns
- creating predictable colour
- getting things ready for your printers
There are a maximum of eight students enrolled on each session to ensure that you get plenty of one-to-one tuition from your tutor and the class can work at a speed to suit the whole group.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please bring to the first session:
- Images and sketches and other visual materials that you can work from during the course
- USB stick