Advertising and The Big Idea
Advertising is changing. The lines drawn between graphic design and advertising, which were clear, are becoming blurred. The constant evolution of New Media platforms create an exciting culture for the budding graphic design / advertising creative...
Taught by: Zelda Malan.
Advertising is changing. The lines drawn between graphic design and advertising, which were clear, are becoming blurred. The constant evolution of New Media platforms create an exciting culture for the budding graphic design / advertising creative. Each day of this lively and sociable practical course examines a different area of advertising, always in search of the ‘Big Idea’.
- We will interrogate contemporary advertising through a range of media from early terrestrial platforms to New Media /ambient/interactive.
- We will examine some of the diverse approaches taken to convey information for a wide range of products and services.
- The relationship between words and pictures is discussed, as well as the crafts employed in their production, such as photography, typography and the layout itself.
- Students initially will work on a series of short briefs and produce concept work to communicate their ideas effectively.
- A longer brief will be tackled to produce ideas and treatments that are more considered.
Dialogue between students is encouraged and pair-work will replicate the working practices in many advertising agencies, encouraging the exchange of ideas. Drawing skills are not a necessity for the course. The emphasis is on big ideas that engage us,'the consumers', in a stimulating and compelling way.
Course level All levels
Students should have good English language skills for the course, as much of the course is delivered verbally, and some project work will rely on the understanding and manipulation of text.
Who should take this course?
This course is suitable for anyone who loves a challenge, enjoys problem solving, and wants to learn about advertising creative and strategic thinking, regardless of their level or past experience. It is open to a range of individuals, including:
- complete beginners who want to find out what advertising is
- students already on degree courses wishing to put together an advertising portfolio
- people in PR or marketing wishing to change or improve their job skills
- anarchic thinkers who want to explore the opportunities that new media offers
Zelda Malan has worked in the advertising industry for many years. She is a senior lecturer on the BA Graphic Design Course at Kingston University, the No. 1 course for Graphic Design in the UK, where she teaches, and delivers lectures on idea generation, advertising and graphic design.
You can find Zelda on Facebook, Instagram and in the following press articles.
Students should bring the following materials to the first session:
- A3 layout pad
- Pentel pen 50 (bullet point) or similar black marker pen
Students will be provided with the following materials:
- Small sketch books for idea generation
- The products you will be asked to advertise
Websites that may be of interest for students to review in advance of the class
All round design blogs
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|03/04/2017 - 07/04/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||1 Week||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|24/07/2017 - 28/07/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||1 Week||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|14/08/2017 - 18/08/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||1 Week||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|