This course will give you a foundation in the creative and technical aspects of all the applications of cartoon art, whether that be for animation, comic books, graphic novels, panel cartoons, humorous illustration, storyboarding or newspaper strips...
Taught by: Vincent Woodcock.
This course will give you a foundation in the creative and technical aspects of all the applications of cartoon art, whether that be for animation, comic books, graphic novels, panel cartoons, humorous illustration, storyboarding or newspaper strips. Close attention will be paid throughout the course to the work of cartoon masters such as Will Eisner, Robert Crumb, Ronald Searle, Steve Bell, Charles Schultz, Harvey Kurtzmann and many others.
Students will be taken through all the components of cartoon drawing and illustration, which will include:
- character design and construction
- page layout, framing, lettering, and caricature
- pencilling, inking with brush and pen
- stylistic approaches, facial expression
- tricks of the trade, ideas and scripting
- drawing from the imagination
- acting, implied action, cartoon effects, and studio practices.
Students will be required to complete various assignments throughout the course that will incorporate practical applications of the cartoon principles listed above.
Who should take this course?
This course is geared towards aspiring cartoonists, animators and comic artists of all levels, who wish to acquire, or improve upon existing cartooning skills.
More work can be viewed on his website: www.vincentwoodcock.com/ and Facebook
Please bring with you to the first session:
- HB, B or 2B pencils (not mechanical pencils)
- Light blue pencils (preferably Faber-Castell "Col-Erase" light blue)
- A4 photocopy paper (one pack of 500 sheets will last the whole course)
- A pencil sharpener (preferably one that holds the shavings)
- A number 2 or 3 size sable brush (Windsor & Newton Series 7 are best)
- Dip-pen drawing nib(s) with holder
- Black waterproof ink (Higgins "Black Magic" is suitable)
- A 12 inch t-square
- An eraser
- A putty/kneadable eraser
- An assortment of pens suitable for drawing (black ink only).
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|22/10/2016 - 19/11/2016||Saturdays||10:00 - 16:00||5 Weeks||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|04/02/2017 - 04/03/2017||Saturdays||10:00 - 16:00||5 Weeks||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|20/03/2017 - 24/03/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||1 Week||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|