Portfolio Development for 16 to 18 Year Olds
Where does inspiration come from? How do artists and designers arrive at successful ideas? This intensive one-week course takes each individual student on a creative journey from initial idea to a portfolio of interconnected works in different media...
Taught by: Marc Hulson, Rochelle Fry.
Where does inspiration come from? How do artists and designers arrive at successful ideas? This intensive one-week course takes each individual student on a creative journey from initial idea to a portfolio of interconnected works in different media. Starting with group activities, research and experimentation you will learn to be open and attentive to the world around you and the value of chance encounters.
We offer you a supportive and dynamic environment where you can develop your individual creative potential.
- This course will take the form of a week-long project, beginning with an exploration of methods to find inspiration.
- Through experimentation with materials and processes including drawing, collage, print, model-making and photography, you will channel your ideas into focused individual projects.
- In the process you will develop skills that can be translated into your individual area of interest.
- The week will include visits to museums and galleries, group discussion and individual mentoring.
- There will also be an opportunity to meet creative professionals and see their portfolios.
By the end of the course you will have created an impressive body of work that can be presented in your portfolio, including sketchbooks, designs, studies and works in a variety of media. You will have many exciting new ideas that can be taken away and developed in future projects and will have learnt how to establish good research processes for yourself.
Who should take this course?
This course is designed to help students develop their research skills and understand how to build ideas through experimentation
It will be particularly useful to those planning on studying at Foundation or BA level.
Entry requirements: None
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Rochelle Fry is an artist and educator who lives and works in London. A graduate of the Royal Academy Schools London, Rochelle has exhibited her work in London and internationally. As a long standing member of Five Years, a well-established artist run gallery, she curates exhibitions and coordinates collaborative projects. Rochelle has extensive experience teaching short courses at CSM including Art & Design summer workshops, and drawing and portfolio preparation courses. She teaches bespoke courses preparing and mentoring students for successful art university applications and also teaches drawing at the Civil Engineering Department, City University, London.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A3 Sketchpad
- Pencil case with: pens and pencils, erasor, sharpener, pritt stick, scissors, craft knife
- Drawing inks and brush or pen
- Folder to carry your work, A2-A3
- 1 magazine of your choice
- Bring your camera
- Be prepared to spend £40 on materials and getting photos printed