Mixed Media Painting
What differentiates this course from other painting courses is the variety of contemporary mixed media painting materials that are used. Suitable for both beginners and more experienced students, it combines practical work with reference to contemporary art practice...
Taught by: Caroline List.
What differentiates this course from other painting courses is the variety of contemporary mixed media painting materials that are used. Suitable for both beginners and more experienced students, it combines practical work with reference to contemporary art practice.
Structured projects will allow you to explore various art movements and contemporary approaches to painting. They will help you to work within a framework whilst encouraging freedom to generate your own ideas. Works produced can also go towards your portfolio if you are applying for further study.
Topics covered include:
- use of acrylic paints and mediums
- masking techniques
- photo transfer on canvas and board
- mixing your own pigments
- wax encaustic painting
- oil paintings and mediums
- use of impasto gels and high gloss alkyd resins
- priming and stretching canvass
You will begin by preparing a support for your work, which could be made from MDF, aluminum or canvas.
These surfaces will be developed further by using collage or photo montages, which will be the starting point for a series of mixed media paintings.
A variety of materials are provided for demonstrations and experimentation purposes.
Alongside practical demonstrations, the tutor will give a presentation on contemporary painting methods and ideas, which will give you a broader understanding of painting in the 21st century.
Entry requirements: You must have a good understanding of spoken English due to the technical nature of the course.
Level: This course is appropriate for students of all levels.
Who should take this course?
The course is open to anyone interested in developing their mixed media techniques.
Students on Fine Art BA/MA courses have attended this course in order to expand their knowledge of materials and technical painting approaches.
This course will be particularly beneficial if you wish to develop a body of work for your portfolio or apply for further studies.
The course provides an opportunity for you to:
- learn how to prepare a support for your mixed media pieces
- learn how to explore your ideas as you build up materials through layers
- practice a range of contemporary mixed media painting techniques
- experiment with specialist materials
- explore the work of other mixed media painting artists
Caroline List is a practicing artist, who has exhibited internationally and in the UK, her work has been collected by a number of private and public collectors. Caroline has worked as a visiting tutor at several eminent art schools such as The Royal Academy, Chelsea School of Art and Design, Bath Spa University and Central Saint Martins. She currently lives in London and her studio is with Space Studios
Students should bring the following materials to the first session:
- Brushes a variety of sizes, synthetic bristle which are softer, hog hair,which is corse and for texture and hake or goats hair, which is softer, for blending
- Rollers, sponge roller for primer
- Palette knives
- Mixing pots with lids
- Storage jars
- Olive oil soap for cleaning brushes
- Tesa precision tape from Leylands Paints
- Hair conditioner (for keeping brushes soft)
- Source material to bring to the course can include photographs, postcards, magazine cuttings and other visual imagery which is of interest and may be incorporated into your work
- Please bring black & white & colour photocopies/laser copies (A3 and A4). These photocopies copies should not cost any more than 50p for black and white or £1.50 for colour (use your local copy bureau or Rymans). Do not buy really expensive shiny photocopies, matt quality basic paper prints works better for photo transfer. Please make sure your photocopies have a good tonal range with very dense blacks and saturated colour.
Please note that all other materials will be provided by the college, and may include:
- Mixed media materials
If and when the materials provided by the college run out you may have to buy extra materials such as, timber for the stretcher-making, canvas and paints.
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|09/01/2017 - 13/03/2017||Mondays||10:00 - 16:00||10 Weeks||£875||Available||Richbell Place - WC1N||Add to Basket|
|27/03/2017 - 07/04/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||2 Weeks||£875||Available||Richbell Place - WC1N||Add to Basket|
|20/04/2017 - 22/06/2017||Thursdays||10:00 - 16:00||10 Weeks||£875||Available||Richbell Place - WC1N||Add to Basket|
|14/08/2017 - 25/08/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||2 Weeks||£875||Available||Richbell Place - WC1N||Add to Basket|