Painting The Figure
This intensive one-week course allows students to explore different contemporary approaches to painting the figure and to complete two paintings using either oil or acrylic paint. We will explore how to create strong, vibrant, assertive figures in a contemporary style...
Taught by: Roger Gill.
This intensive one-week course allows students to explore different contemporary approaches to painting the figure and to complete two paintings using either oil or acrylic paint. We will explore how to create strong, vibrant, assertive figures in a contemporary style. You will be encouraged to create transparent, delicate skin tones, as well as more opaque ‘alla prima’ (wet-on-wet) painting.
You will be introduced to the use of glazes and coloured grounds and practice how to control colour through the use of limited palettes and colour mixing. During the course we will refer to the work of other artists, their styles and approaches.
Topics covered include:
- observational drawing using line and tone
- selected palettes
- paint application and layering techniques
- exploring contemporary colours
- developing your subject matter
- developing an individual style
Who should take this course?
- anyone interested in developing their figure painting skills as a leisure pursuit
- undergraduate fine art students wanting to develop their painting skills
- students wishing to strengthen their skills for application for further studies in fine art
- beginners are also welcome and will benefit from the course
Entry requirements: None
Roger Gill is an artist and tutor who works in London and who has exhibited in the UK and Europe. He teaches a number of drawing and painting courses at Central Saint Martins, including courses on life painting, oil painting techniques, portrait drawing and painting and bespoke one-to-one tuition.
To view Roger's work see rogergill.org.uk.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A few sheets of A1 cartridge paper (130-250gsm) primed with acrylic primer OR oil painting paper
- A few light coloured pastels
- 2 canvases approx 30 x 36 inches
- Tubes of oil paints OR Acrylic paints (17 colours): Titanium white and Zinc white - Naples Yellow, Cadmium yellow and Indian Yellow - Cadmium red and Alizarin Crimson - Ultramarine Blue and Cobalt blue - Viridian Green - Violet- Raw Umber, Burnet Umber, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna and Yellow ochre
- Oil painting brushes: Short, flats, bristle (a sensible range of sizes). Please make sure you have a couple of large, medium and small ones
- Lots of rags and tissues
- Jars with lids
- Palette knife
- Turps 'sans odor' (Turpintine)
- Linseed oil
- Liquin (speeds up drying time)
- Roll of greaseproof paper for palette, or a piece of flat white melamine about 14 x 12 inches
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.