Are you passionate about using colour as a medium of self-expression? Open to beginners and more experienced students, this course explores the multiple possibilities that painting can open up. During the first six weeks you draw and paint from a life model...
Taught by: Tutor to be confirmed.
Are you passionate about using colour as a medium of self-expression? Open to beginners and more experienced students, this course explores the multiple possibilities that painting can open up. During the first six weeks you draw and paint from a life model. In the subsequent weeks, you are encouraged to explore and paint a range of different subjects and approaches, including more abstract ways of painting. You may want to experiment painting from digital or photographic images.
A series of structured exercises will explore:
- observational drawing using line and tone
- selected palettes
- paint application and layering techniques
- exploring contemporary colours
- developing your subject matter and individual style
By the end of the course you will have explored a range of different approaches to painting, from figurative painting to more experimental painterly approaches.
You will be encouraged to develop independent lines of study and to produce several pieces of work.
Who should attend this course?
Anyone with an interest in painting and wanting to improve their skills. The course is specifically tailored for those unable to attend our more intensive daytime courses.
Level : Beginners as well as more experienced students. This is a long established course catering for students with different levels of ability. Numbers are kept to a maximum of 15 (sometimes fewer), which gives time for the tutor to give individual advice to each student.
Entry requirements: None
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A few sheets of A1 cartridge paper (130-250gsm) primed with acrylic primer or oil painting paper
- A few coloured pastels
For the following sessions you will need:
- 2 canvases approx 30 x 36 inches
- Oil paints or acrylics: Titanium and Zinc white, Lemon yellow, Cadmium yellow, Cadmium red, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt blue, Viridian Green, Violet, Indian Yellow, Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Yellow ochre, Ivory and Lamp black
- Oil painting brushes: short, flats, bristle - a sensible range of sizes, Please make sure you have a couple of large, medium and small ones
- Lots of rags and tissues
- Jars with lids
- Palette knife
- Turps or white spirit
- Linseed oil
- Liquin (speeds up drying time)
- Roll of greaseproof paper for palette, or a piece of flat white melamine about 14 x 12 inches.
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.