Contemporary Drawing and Painting (Online)
Online courses occur as a live session for 1.5 hours each week, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
This course is for passionate part-time artists, whether you are self-taught or have had college training. It will inspire you to build on existing knowledge and techniques so you can create with confidence, and take your art to the next level. Professional artist Guy Noble will guide you through three fundamental elements to build on your talents and achieve real progress with your paintings and drawings...
Taught by: Guy Noble.
Subject Matter (What we paint)
Contemporary art presents a spectacular array of subjects but this doesn’t mean that any every subject will work for you. How do you choose subjects with the most potential for you to express your ideas?
Imagination & Observation (How we see things)
The act of perception is at the root of our aesthetic response. Together, we will look at understanding the relationship between the imagination and visual appearance and how it is used in an artwork.
Technique & Language (The way we work)
Colour, light, space and form are the essential pillars of the language used in painting and drawing. Here, you will learn to control these elements technically to help you further develop your own work.
- Finding subject matter
- Relationship between subject and the language of painting and drawing
- How do we use the subject
- Technique & Language
- Painting from photographs
- Effective compositions
- Painting in Layers
- Alla Prima
- Using Acrylic vs. Oil
- Space, form, colour and light.
- Abstract values and surface quality
"Fantastic course, the information, exercises and homework was so helpful in focusing on the subjects. Guy ’s feedback, advice and knowledge was invaluable, and I loved his teaching style and humour."
- Julie, former student
By the end of the course you will;
- Be able to confidently to talk about your artwork, its subject matter, and the relationship between the two
- Have acquired practical knowledge of various drawing and painting techniques
- Understand how to effectively use a photograph as a foundation or inspiration for your art
- Deepen your understanding of your approach to art and the subject
- Develop you critical approach to your own art and the work of others
- Receive quality feedback on your work from the tutor and the class
- Produce a body of work that can supplement a portfolio to be used for further study or professional practice
- Have discussed with the tutor and class how to progress your art beyond the parameters of the course
Who is Contemporary Drawing and Painting (Online) for
The course is an excellent fit for students or graduates in fine art who wish to get more serious with their practice, and artists who would like to investigate their relationship with their subject and learn new techniques.
Level: All levels welcome
Please note: This course is for student aged 18 and over
More information about Guy Noble and his teaching at Central Saint Martins is available on his Facebook page.
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- A3 sketchbook
- 2B pencils
- Putty rubber
- Willow Charcoal
- Gesso Primer
- Assorted paintbrushes (atlas two large)
- Drawing board
- Good assortment of coloured oils and acrylics