Learn how to use a broad range of new mixed media techniques and visual elements from a variety of sources. You'll be surprised at your ability to create unexpected images and make unusual juxtapositions, assemblages and visual collisions. Whether you are a beginner or an intermediate student, this course will help you find your own voice in the world of collage...
Taught by: Rod Judkins.
Learn how to use a broad range of new mixed media techniques and visual elements from a variety of sources. You'll be surprised at your ability to create unexpected images and make unusual juxtapositions, assemblages and visual collisions. Whether you are a beginner or an intermediate student, this course will help you find your own voice in the world of collage.
You will discover collage as a tool for thinking, realising your ideas, and enriching your work.
Who should take this course?
- Beginners looking to build confidence and learn ways of creating imagery with ease.
- Experienced artists, designers or illustrators looking for ways to broaden and reinvigorate their practice.
Illustrated talks will cover the history of collage and its relevance to the work of contemporary artists and illustrators.
Though practical workshop you will learn how to:
- transform image and apply layering and juxtaposition
- incorporate architectural perspective
- mix painting technique with collage
- use collage as a source of inspiration for painting
- work with different glues, papers, assemblage and typography
This course is a unique opportunity for you to:
- understand the history of collage and its relevance today
- develop the technical ability to use a range of material with confidence
- produce a large number of diverse collage pieces
- create ideas and meaning using altered images
- learn how to use intuition and irrationality as well as logic and reason to create imagery
Level: Beginners as well as refreshers who want to push their practice further.
Collage is experiencing a renaissance and is currently a dominant influence in contemporary art. Book your place if you want to discover the many new possibilities that this technique can open up.
Entry requirements: None
"Really enjoyed Rod's Contemporary Collage course, very inspiring and lots of fun. I am now collaging regularly. Many thanks Rod!" (L Robertson, October 16).
"I was very impressed with the tutor, Rod Judkins, as he created a positive environment for experimentation and productive talking about each others work. Each day of the course was structured well and he brought visual stimuli to assist his teaching. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and have left feeling very inspired" (B Thomas, April 2016).
Read more about the tutor Rod Judkins on the CSM Short Courses blog http://csmshortcourses.myblog.arts.ac.uk/
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please bring with you:
Some old magazines that you are happy to cut up.