Discover how to manipulate acrylic and oil paint with confidence and precision. Focussing on the life model, this well structured exploration of painting methods will allow you to indulge in your creativity. Through a series of highly informative and clearly explained studies, you will learn the fundamental painting technical skills required for the effective appication of colour...
Taught by: Alice White.
Discover how to manipulate acrylic and oil paint with confidence and precision. Focussing on the life model, this well structured exploration of painting methods will allow you to indulge in your creativity. Through a series of highly informative and clearly explained studies, you will learn the fundamental painting technical skills required for the effective appication of colour.
You will develop a critical understanding of form and colour through practical exercises combined with a series of short lectures. With an emphasis on experimentation and individual development at all times, this course is ideal for those looking to develop a personal approach to painting.
The course culminates with the study of combined practice, in which you will bring together all acquired techniques to create a completed painting on canvas. This, we hope, will be the first of many canvases to come!
It is essential that you attend the first session for an introduction to the course and an in-depth lecture on materials and practice.
Topics covered include:
- mark-making techniques
- human body proportion
- painting composition
- colour theory and its place in contemporary art and art history
This course is an opportunity for you to:
- gain a solid understanding of the key skills required to manipulate both acrylic and oil paint
- develop the confidence to employ a variety of painting methods and materials
- produce a number of figure paintings in both oil and acrylic paint that can be used in portfolios
- get advice on the potential next steps in your artistic journey
Who should take this course?
Absolute beginners are welcome, as are those who wish to strengthen their portfolio application to further studies.
The course is also suitable to anyone with previous experience wishing to refresh their painting skills.
Level : Beginners
Entry requirements: None
"Alice White was brilliant at conveying a lot of information in a clear and compelling way. She was highly engaging and enthusiastic and clearly loves her subject and her practice. One of the best teachers I have had in any subject, ever! "(M Howard-Hope, August 2016).
"Fantastic tutor, and especially appreciated the feedback, advice and recommendations for further study, and general direction to take. Thank you!!" (E Goodwin, March 2015)
Should you not be able to attend on any of the dates available for this course, you could also consider our Painting:The First Step day time painting course for beginners running on Tuesdays.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- An A3 portfolio or tube to carry work home with you
- A3 Paper - suitable for acrylic paint
- Willow Charcoal
- Masking Tape
- 3 Synthetic brushes. Various thicknesses, for use with acrylic paint. (If you are in doubt about which size to buy, you are advised that the smallest brush should be about the size of your little finger, and the largest brush about the size of your thumb.)
- Acrylic Paint (Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Alizeron Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Prussian Blue, Raw Umber, Black and White)
- 3 Hogs Hair brushes. Various thicknesses, for use with oil paint. (If you are in doubt about which size to buy, please follow the guide for acrylic brush sizes above.)
- Oil Paint (Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Alizeron Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Prussian Blue, Raw Umber, Black and White)
- Water Pots
- Odour free Turpentine substitute such as 'Sansodor', 'Zest-It' or 'Turpenoid' may be used for cleaning brushes. Vegetable oil is also an alternative.Turpentine or white spirits are NOT allowed in the painting studio as they are highly toxic.
- PVA Glue
- Small sketch/note book
- Piece of cloth or rag
- A palette is essential
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|18/02/2017 - 18/03/2017||Saturdays||10:00 - 16:00||5 Weeks||£545||Available||Richbell Place - WC1N||Add to Basket|
|10/04/2017 - 13/04/2017||Monday to Thursday||10:00 - 17:15||4 Days||£545||Available||Richbell Place - WC1N||Add to Basket|
|27/05/2017 - 24/06/2017||Saturdays||10:00 - 16:00||5 Weeks||£545||Available||Richbell Place - WC1N||Add to Basket|
|21/08/2017 - 25/08/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||1 Week||£545||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|