Anatomical Portrait Drawing
Suitable for beginners and intermediate students, this course will give you the solid foundation that you need in order to produce convincing portrait drawings and paintings. Anatomical drawing knowlege will enrich your drawings by improving the way you handle body structures and proportion...
Taught by: David Price, Jennifer Crouch.
Suitable for beginners and intermediate students, this course will give you the solid foundation that you need in order to produce convincing portrait drawings and paintings. Anatomical drawing knowlege will enrich your drawings by improving the way you handle body structures and proportion.
You'll study in detail the structures and bones of the skull, hands, neck and shoulders.
The morphology and surface appearance of the facial features will be considered in depth.
Most importantly, you'll also learn how these structures support and relate to the muscular system.
- During the course you will be drawing from a life model
- There will be drawing exercises from prepared diagrams
- Slide presentations will show good examples of anatomical drawings
- Examples of the application of anatomical knowledge in the work of artists such as Rubens and Rembrandt will be discussed
- At all times the study of anatomy will be related to how to structure and pace a drawing in terms of line, shape and tone
Who should take this course?
- Anyone who wishes to improve their portrait drawing and painting
- Artists, those working in animation, character design and fashion drawing/illustration - or students wishing to the enter these fields
Level: All levels.
Entry requirements: None
Tutor: Please note that the tutor on this course changes depending on the course dates. All tutor biographies can be reviewed below.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Jennifer Crouch is a practicing artist specialising in projects exploring art-science relationships. Since January 2011 she has carried out drawing in the Dissecting Room at Saint Georges University, producing illustrations for the Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and The American Journal of Sports Medicine. She also runs interdisciplinary workshops in schools and has delivered lectures at various Universities. In 2012 her work was exhibited at the London Design Festival and selected for the Threadneedle Prize Exhibition.
All basic materials will be provided for you.