Introduction To Fashion Design - Full Course
Have you ever wondered what a fashion designer actually does or whether it is the right career for you, or simply, how do designers come up with a fresh collection every season?This introductory course is specifically designed to guide you through the design process and immerse yourself in fashion...
Taught by: Ian Kettle.
Have you ever wondered what a fashion designer actually does or whether it is the right career for you, or simply, how do designers come up with a fresh collection every season?
This introductory course is specifically designed to guide you through the design process and immerse yourself in fashion. Over the two weeks you will work from a set brief, through to an extensive research and design development process to generate and develop many ideas for fashion that challenge while still cater to a clients needs.
Using a variety of 2D & 3D experiments we will explore how to develop a (collection) line/up. You will be able to get a real taste of the design industry as well as develop your personal design ‘language’ and designing for fashion at a market specific level (a better understanding of the industry/customer)
By the end of this course you will have the tools necessary to communicate your ideas, or begin developing a portfolio for application for further study in fashion as well as a clear idea of whether the work of a fashion designer, or some other role in this diverse and vibrant industry, is for you.
Both Menswear & Womenswear design are covered.
- Design Briefing (setting up a project)
- New Research Methods for Designers
- Colour Palette & Texture Sourcing Workshop
- Figure Drawing Workshop
- Multiple Design Exercises (collage-detail placement-negative space-projection)
- 3D Paper Draping Workshop
- Preliminary Design Development Workshop
- Sketchbook Development
- Seasonal Field trips (stores-events-locations) will be available to make the most of your course and time in London (self guided & non compulsory)
Vocational Weekend - Homework
- Lecture: The Business Of Fashion’
- Trend Analysis & Fashion Communication Lecture/Workshop
- Secondary Design Development Workshop
- Runway Review (deconstructing a designers collection)
- Collection Breakdown (what belongs in a collection)
- Lecture & Exercise: ‘Collection Structure’
- Portfolio Review (for those interested in application to art school)
- Advice & Diagnostics (next steps in fashion)
Who should take this course?
- Absolute Beginners
- Business Start-Up
- Foundation/BA Student
- The Fashion Experienced looking for a new design narrative
Entry requirements: None
Level: Beginners – Intermediate
Ian is the head of Fashion Design on FESP (Free Elective Semester Programme) here at Central Saint Martins, along side running the Introduction to Fashion programme, as well as setting-up and delivering bespoke one-to-one and group design courses here and in Mexico, Buenos Aires and China for beginners, industry professionals and the odd celebrity.
Ian is a well respected freelance designer with over twenty years experience, having worked for several independent designers, including Dexter Wong - Head of Womenswear & Alberta Ferretti – Designer and running his own business. His own work has been profiled in many magazines (Vogue, Elle, Grazia, WWD, ID, Nylon & 125…) He has contributed to projects in the arts, film, theatre and pop. (Cindy Sherman, Toyah and Michael Jackson…)
IAN SCOTT KETTLE is Ian’s current business of Gentlemen’s Bespoke Accessories. One-off, hand made pieces, catering to private clients, run from his studio at Cockpit Arts in London. Studio visits (by appointment) are welcome. Come see a working studio or simply to discuss your course options.
For the first session:
• HB Pencil-Pen-Rubber
• A5 Note Pad
• £5 cash for Research Photocopying
• USB memory stick (min 8GB)
• Color (any) pencils-Pens or Pastels
Needed later into the course (your tutor will advise you)
• (A4) Portrait or (A3) Landscape Sketchbook (white paper)
• (A4) Layout Pad
• HB Retractable Pencil
• Black 0.1 and 0.5 Fine Line Pens
• Letraset Pro-Markers: 1 x ivory & 1 x cool grey no1
• Small Paper Scissors
• Paper Glue Stick
• 1cm Masking Tape
• Camera or Smartphone (for research only, high quality not necessary)
All the above available at the CSM ArtShop open during course time
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|20/03/2017 - 31/03/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||2 Weeks||£945||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|24/07/2017 - 04/08/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||2 Weeks||£945||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|
|07/08/2017 - 18/08/2017||Monday to Friday||10:00 - 16:00||2 Weeks||£945||Available||Granary Sq. - N1C||Add to Basket|