Fashion Design For Beginners
This course is a dynamic 10-week program where we will explore the foundations of fashion design through drawing, research, 3D development and textile/print developments. You will be guided through the process of designing and developing a collection and will leave with a strong foundation and the confidence to continue further studies in fashion education...
Taught by: Daniela Bomba, Rory Parnell-Mooney.
This course is a dynamic 10-week program where we will explore the foundations of fashion design through drawing, research, 3D development and textile/print developments. You will be guided through the process of designing and developing a collection and will leave with a strong foundation and the confidence to continue further studies in fashion education.
This course is an excellent preparation for studying fashion at higher levels. Previous students have progressed to other Central Saint Martin's courses, such as the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design and Fashion Folio.
There will be three projects over 10 weeks. They will cover:
• visual research for inspiration
• experimentation and developing fashion ideas
• design drawing and illustration
• advice on portfolio preparation
• 3d development
The projects will give you a taster of what studying fashion at Central Saint Martins is like. You will experiment with three dimensional work on mannequins and will be encouraged to explore different fabrics and develop drawing and collage techniques.
Who should take this course?
• Motivated beginners who want to develop their creative skills.
• Those with some previous experience who need to gain more confidence in communicating and presenting their fashion ideas.
• Those who wish to progress to further education at Central Saint Martins such as foundation studies or fashion folio.
Entry requirements: None
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Rory Parnell-Mooney is an Irish-born menswear designer who lives and works in London. He has a Masters in Menswear from Central Saint Martins. Rory presented his first collection under his own name at London Collections: Men in January 2015 with support from Fashion East and Topman and his second solo collection was shown in June 2015. He is currently stocked at Dover Street Market in London and New York and other international stores.
Rory teaches on the Fashion Folio course at Central Saint Martins http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/foundation/fashion-folio/ as well as a number of summer courses and bespoke fashion courses in Hong Kong.
Please bring with you to the first session:
• A3 + a4 paper
• A selection of drawing pencils
• Fine liner pens
• Selection of paintbrushes
• Pritt stick
• Any other materials you enjoy working with.