Fashion Design And Styling for 16 to 18 Year Olds (Weekend)
A fast-paced weekend course dedicated to research and design development for fashion.Saturday will be a research day, where you will be introduced to how research for fashion is done and spend time in the Central Saint Martins library. Emphasis will be on the importance of research and how this informs ideas and the design process...
Taught by: Jane Francis.
A fast-paced weekend course dedicated to research and design development for fashion.
Saturday will be a research day, where you will be introduced to how research for fashion is done and spend time in the Central Saint Martins library. Emphasis will be on the importance of research and how this informs ideas and the design process. You will create a mood board and gather inspirations which will inform the next day’s work. You will also have a brief tutorial on fashion illustration.
Sunday will be the design day, where the you will spend time refining your research, and design, a capsule collection and present this, along with the initial research.
This will be an introduction to the skills and techniques used by the degree students at Central Saint Martins.The process will be an excellent introduction to the kind of work needed for a successful portfolio and give students a taste of studying fashion.
- Experimental idea development for the body
- Research methodologies and sketchbook techniques for fashion
- Introduction to CSM library and digital learning resources
- Introduction to Fashion Illustration
- Experimental collage and juxtaposition techniques
- Live project brief
- Consolidation and development of research ideas to inform original ‘mini’ fashion collection
- 2D to 3D translation and styling
- Group and peer critiques
- Individual tutorials
- Presentation methodologies
- Portfolio and application advice for further study at HE level within UAL and beyond.
Recommended reading and other resources
- Davies,H (2013) Fashion Designers Sketchbooks Two. London. Laurence King
- Davies,H (2013) British Fashion Designers (Mini) London. Laurence King
- Jenkins Jones,S (2011) Fashion Design (Portfolio), London. Laurence King
- Leech, R ( 2012) The Fashion Resource Book: Research for Design. London. Thames & Hudson
- Leech, R ( 2014) The Fashion Resource Book: Men. London. Thames & Hudson
- McAssey,J (2011) Basics Fashion Design 08: Styling. Ava Publishing
- IInstagram: https://www.instagram.com/csm_fashion_16to18/
Please bring along with you on the first day:
- A2 Sketch pad / Drawing pad of white or off white cartridge paper
- Drawing Kit - Pencils, and Colour Pencils
- Colour drawing and painting materials: These can be a felt tip or marker pens, Conte or charcoal, pens, acrylics or gouache
- Pritt Stick or Glue Stick
- Camera (with Film or Memory as appropriate)
- Selection of Magazines: (Interior design, home decoration, national geographic, fashion, art or any other image heavy publications). The magazines do not have to be NEW, and will be disassembled and used as creative resources within the course