Fashion Design and Draping Workshops for 16 to 18 Year Olds
Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this fashion summer school course will give you an experience of fashion as taught at Central Saint Martins. Developing your confidence in experimentation, idea generation and creativity will be important activities alongside building your technical skills to help inform you how to become a fashion designer...
Taught by: Philip Mauger.
Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this fashion summer school course will give you an experience of fashion as taught at Central Saint Martins. Developing your confidence in experimentation, idea generation and creativity will be important activities alongside building your technical skills to help inform you how to become a fashion designer.
Subjects will include:
- Learning about different careers in fashion
- Research and idea generation
- Developing a fashion sketchbook
- Designing a fashion collection
- Fashion illustration
- Working in 3D - silhouettes and draping
- Accessory design
- Range planning
- Fashion marketing
- Presentation skills.
Day out in London
The course includes a specially designed educational day out in London that feeds into your course work back in the studio.
PLUS - The last Friday afternoon of the course will include a display of your finished design ideas, illustrations and sketchbook, with feedback from your tutor on how to use the work within your portfolios. Parents, family and friends are all invited to attend.
Now in its 7th Year, this popular course is ideal if you are considering fashion or textiles as a future career, or if you wish to try something new and have a passion for fashion and the fashion industry. Upon completion you will have new skills to help you continue designing your own collections, illustrating, documenting your research and thought processes, putting together marketing boards and more. You will explore the process very much in the spirit of Central Saint Martins, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 16-18 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects.
Fashion Design and Draping for 16 to 18 Year Olds is a stand-alone course but also dovetails with the Fashion Styling and Making for 16 to 18 Year Olds to make a complete 4-week Fashion Summer School course that will really meet the needs of aspiring fashion students.Need help with accommodation in London this summer? Visit our accommodation section
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Please bring with you:
- USB key / thumb drive (minimum 8 GB)
- Laptop with wifi access and power cord (optional)
- Digital camera or good quality camera phone, plus charger and camera USB cable)
- A3 layout pad
- A5 cartridge pad
- A3 hardback presentation sketchbook
- Selection of good quality pencils, including HB and 2B
- Selection of coloured pencils
- Soft (non-smudge) erasers and a putty rubber
- Good quality pencil sharpener
- Pilot 0.1 black fibre tip drawing pen
- Watercolour paint brushes (recommend sizes 1, 3, 5 & 7)
- Watercolour paints - selection of tubes (to comprise/include: primary red, yellow, blue, black and white)
- Gouache paints - selection of tubes (to comprise/include: primary red, yellow, blue, black and white)
- Paint mixing palette
- Paper glue (eg Pritt Stick)
- Leggings and a close fitting vest top
- An apron to protect clothing from paint
- A small smart comfortable bag to carry your A5 cartridge pad, pencils, lunch and an umbrella on course trips to London.
NOTE: If you are taking BOTH 'Fashion Design and Draping' AND 'Fashion Styling and Making' you will only need one set of the above materials.
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.