Design Your Own Wedding Dress
If you are interested in developing bridal designs or planning to design your own wedding dress, don't miss out on this opportunity! We will introduce you to each stage of the design process, from bride-to-be profiling to finished illustrations. You will explore fundamental fashion design development techniques and use a variety of media...
Taught by: Lara Ashley.
If you are interested in developing bridal designs or planning to design your own wedding dress, don't miss out on this opportunity! We will introduce you to each stage of the design process, from bride-to-be profiling to finished illustrations. You will explore fundamental fashion design development techniques and use a variety of media. As you work towards a portfolio presentation, you will produce a series of sheets showing the theme/mood of your wedding, a variety of ideas and a final design.
- How to personalise a fashion template and draw details such pleats, frills and flounces.
- Specialist suppliers and finding suitable fabrics and trimmings.
- How to carry out simple tests to identify which fabrics are 100% silk and which are very good imitations.
- Communicating design ideas creatively using a variety of media, including collage, pencils and marker pens to colour your sketches.
- Keeping a visual journal of ideas, including magazine cuttings, sketches and fabric swatches.
- Developing 3D designs by using draping techniques on the stand and making fabric flowers, beading and embroidery samples.
Entry requirements: No previous experience is needed.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Lara Ashley has worked in the bridal industry for over 14 years, helping to create new collections and evening wear styles worn by celebrities such as Katherine Jenkins and Stacey Solomon. She now works as a freelance bespoke designer, pattern cutter and sample machinist for both bridal wear and the fashion industry.
Students should bring with them to the first lesson:
- A5 black cover plain page notebook
- A3 Layout pad
- HP pencil, pencil sharpener, erasure and 12” ruler
- A fine line (0.4) water and fade proof black pen
- Paper scissors, masking tape, glue stick
- Fabric scissors, pins and sewing needles
- A wedding dress magazine.
- Any photos, magazine cuttings or wedding dress patterns that you already have and may wish to use as inspiration.
- Any fabric samples, beads sequins and embroidery threads that you already have and may wish to use.
- Any coloured pencils and marker pens that you already have. Please do not buy these especially for the course. Your tutor will advise you on brands and colours and you should be prepared to spend £5 and £10 on these items.