Fabric Awareness for Designers
A strong fabric story will provide a solid base for any fashion collection. Trends in colours and surface textures provide inspiration for designers.Fabrics influence and determine the shapes and details in garments.During the week you will learn about the different fabrics used in current ready to wear and couture collections...
Taught by: Maggie Doyle.
A strong fabric story will provide a solid base for any fashion collection. Trends in colours and surface textures provide inspiration for designers.
Fabrics influence and determine the shapes and details in garments.
During the week you will learn about the different fabrics used in current ready to wear and couture collections.
Organised visits will be arranged helping you to understand the fashion industry and how it works.
Design and design development together with constructing a comprehensive fabric range will take place in the later part of the week
This will help you form your own body of design work, co-ordinated with relevant fabrics for your chosen market.
- You will study the fabrics that designers use today in their collections.
- We will also look at the basics of the weaves and yarns learning their names in order to identify them in professional salons and trade fairs.
- You will produce a fabric sample book as evidence of your study that you can build upon as your career advances. This will provide an invaluable tool when starting a collection.
Who should take this course?
The course aims to teach students of all abilities and levels of experience. It is designed to be of interest to all students wishing to work within a creative industry that uses fabric. Fashion, textiles, costume and interior designers would all benefit from this course.
Entry requirements: None
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A4 Marker or layout paper
- A4 fine card for fabric samples
- Your own preferred design materials for drawing, including coloured pencils, markers, inks etc.