Drawing And Painting For Textile Design (Online)
Whether you are working on paper or fabric based designs for development into textiles, good drawing and painting skills are important. This online course offers drawing and painting tuition in a variety of media, progressing through to design requirements for printed textiles...
Taught by: Dominique L'Olive.
Whether you are working on paper or fabric based designs for development into textiles, good drawing and painting skills are important. This online course offers drawing and painting tuition in a variety of media, progressing through to design requirements for printed textiles. You will learn how to develop your ideas through drawing and painting and how to develop your research drawings into designs for printed textiles. The course will look at pattern, form, colour, design and repeats. Beginners are most welcome, as are those who wish to return to the studio to explore new ideas.
Students will be able to:
- Source and conduct visual research for a textile design
- Record in a sketchbook how to create a textile print using a variety of paint techniques
- Demonstrate a knowledge of how to develop a textile design from initial idea through to finished concept
Course Schedule - 8 weeks: 1.5 hours of live class per week
Introduction/overview: Primary visual research and Identify a theme
Let's start drawing and sketching from moodboard
Creating a palette and thinking about colour
Putting a ground down: How to draw a flower and a leaf
Creating a stamp and stencilling
Creating a pattern and looking at layouts
Designing a collection
Finishing touches, how to embellish and a digital critique
Please note this course is being delivered on UK time.To view more information and a live UK clock, please follow this link: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/uk/london
Please refer to your joining instructions about getting set up for your first session.
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here:
After completing a degree in Fashion Textiles at Central Saint Martins, Dominique L'Olive moved on to be a studio manager where she developed and created designs for the UK, Japan and the US. She has since worked with many different companies such as the V&A, Jigsaw, Style Council and Dorothy Perkins, producing a range of textile designs. Dominique currently works as a freelance textile and surface pattern designer and teaches on a range of textile courses at the University of the Arts London.
Please bring to your first session:
- A pair of paper scissors
- A b, 2b,3b pencil
- Scalpel/craft knife
- Selection of acrylics (colours to be advised on week 3)
- Selection of dr martin's watercolour inks (colours to be advised on week 3)
- Selection of paint brushes- to include a flat 4cm acrylic brush
- A rectangle six well plastic palette for mixing paints and inks
- A hardback sketchbook A3 portrait
- 4/5 A2 sized sheets of watercolour paper 90gsm
- USB webcam (external), to easily show work in progress
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.