Explore London of fashion designers' studios, specialist shops and fashion events scattered around the city. Experience the city from the perspective of a contemporary fashion designer. Visit galleries, retail trails, markets, exhibitions, and fashion events in order to get an insider's view of the London's contemporary fashion world...
Taught by: Daniela Bomba.
Explore London of fashion designers' studios, specialist shops and fashion events scattered around the city. Experience the city from the perspective of a contemporary fashion designer. Visit galleries, retail trails, markets, exhibitions, and fashion events in order to get an insider's view of the London's contemporary fashion world.
This course explores the city that so many fashion designers and fashion industry professionals use as a source of inspiration. London's instinct for innovative fashion comes from its history, street style and culture. It is a hub of creativity that many designers and fashion houses use, season after season, as a reference point for their collections. An eclectic mix of fashion and inspiration is available in London, from street style and vintage through to independent boutiques and concept stores.
You will start to view London differently as a city full of research opportunities and clothing references. You will be introduced to key areas where young London fashion designers seek inspiration from. We will explore the contemporary fashion world by researching designers, new collections and the retail scene.
You will learn about design processes and undertake individual projects to generate research for design and inspiration. We will look at how designers use the visual world around them. You will also learn about new emerging fashion design talent, looking at young designers’ new labels, and the impact of new influences on the London Fashion week schedule. In addition, there will be hand-outs and talks that will recommend areas to visit for self-directed research.
Topics covered include:
- exploring contemporary fashion London
- developing visual research skills
- understanding how research informs the design process and the creative identity
- exploring street style and subculture influences
- developing visual communication and presentation skills
During studio sessions you will discover and understand London fashion and its position in fashion today. There will be individual tutorials. Independent research projects are designed to help you develop your own identity as a fashion creative. They will be supported by group discussion and critique.
By the end of the course you will gain a better understand of the unique energy of contemporary fashion in London and how the city can be a source of inspiration for design. You should develop an awareness of current fashion and culture, improve your research skills and develop confidence in expressing ideas and concepts. You will be encouraged to keep a journal of your visual research, which can be used as a source of reference and inspiration for future projects.
Who should take this course?
The course is suitable for:
- anyone looking to gain research and development skills and learn more about fashion design
- those wanting to explore the emergence of contemporary fashion in London, London Fashion Week, young designers, and the visual research design process.
- anyone preparing for a future in London as a fashion student or undertaking work experience in the fashion industry.
Level: This course is suitable to students of all levels and experience.
Tutor: The tutor on this course changes depending on the course dates. Tutors’ biographies are provided below. If you need to know which tutor is teaching a specific course, please contact us at Short Course Enquiries.
- camera or phone with built in camera
- pen/pencil and a notebook
- travel card or Oyster card which is already topped up
- comfortable shoes for walking
- suitable clothes for the climate