Visa Information

Visas for dual city courses

It is your responsibility to ensure you have all the correct travel documents and, where necessary, visas to start your Dual City course. Please check the links below in order to make enquiries and registrations for any such permits that may be required as soon as possible.

To enter the United Kingdom

Immigration requirements vary hugely depending on what country you are travelling from and your personal circumstances. When you arrive in the UK you will need to present your passport and valid visa/proof of entry clearance to take a short course (usually a Short Term Study Visa) without this you will not be able to join the programme.

If you have any doubts about the type of visa you require please contact the short course office on  +44 207 514 7015 or via our Online Short Course Enquiry Form

If you do require a VISA for the UK we recommend that you apply as early as possible as the process can take some time. We are able to write you a letter confirming that you are on the course once we have received your full tuition fees. If you require a letter from us to support your VISA application please complete the correct space on your course booking form, including your passport number, name as it appears on your passport and date of birth.

For up to the minute advice on what is required visit our immigration guidance page at: Immigration Guidance for Short Courses

To enter the United States of America

International Student Services Highly recommends that students attending summer programs at The New School apply for an I-20 and F-1 visa in order to appropriately receive F-1 student status on entry to the US. (Canadian and Bermudian students must apply for an I-20 and have a valid passport though no visa is required).



Many international students who register for summer courses come to New York for the main purpose of studying, spend most of their time in class, and earn college credit for the courses. F-1 status is the most appropriate non- immigrant status for entry to the US as an international student taking a course of study.


B-1, B-2, and Visa Waiver tourist status have strict restrictions on study*. Only study which is recreational, non-vocational, and incidental to the trip is permitted on a visitor visa and violating these restrictions can lead to problems with US visas in the future. Non-immigrants are legally and personally responsible for complying with the laws that govern their stay in the United States.

*A non-immigrant B-1 or B-2 visitor is prohibited by U.S. law from pursuing a “course of study” before changing status to F-1 Student. [8 CFR 248.1 (c) (3 and 214.2(f) (15) (iii)] A “course of study” is considered to be a focused program of classes, such as a full-time course load leading to or contributing to a degree or certification. Casual, short-term classes that are not the primary (main) purpose of the visitor’s presence in the United States, such as a single English language class, would not constitute a “course of study”. [INS Field Memorandum, April 12, 2002]

Only study which is recreational, non-vocational, and incidental to the trip is permitted on a visitor visa. The determining factor is the traveller's primary purpose in coming to the United States. Furthermore, any kind of study that would earn credit or certification is not permitted on a visitor visa. As an example, if a student is taking a vacation to the U.S. and during this vacation would like to take a two-day cooking class for enjoyment, and there is no credit earned, then this would be permitted on a visitor visa. A consular officer will determine the visa category the student will need based on the purpose of travel and supporting documentation. [Adapted from Department of State FAQs]


Please visit the link on your acceptance letter for more information on applying for an I-20. To learn more about applying for an F-1 visa visit:

To learn more about international students at The New School visit the ISS website at: and click on Guide for International Students.

International Student Services

79 Fifth Ave, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10003
Phone (212) 229-5592 Fax (212) 229-8992

150 West 85th Street, Lobby, New York, NY 10024
Phone (212) 580-0210Fax (212) 580-1738

To enter France

For the Summer School, foreign students outside the Schengen area are responsible for obtaining a Schengen visa, which is the visa recommended for short-term programs.

The issuance of a short-stay visa is free for students travelling for academic or training purposes (community visa code, article 16). Upon request and after full payment of course, IFM will send you a letter to support your visa application, however be mindful that all requests for a visa letter must be made before the end of July as IFM is closed the first 2 weeks of August.

Important: normally, it takes less than two weeks to obtain an appointment in connection with an application for a Schengen visa, except in special circumstances (such as “high season”). The waiting period to receive the visa is 15 calendar days (community visa code, article 23)

France’s consular authorities are responsible for examining visa applications. Applications must meet the following conditions:

  • An application form must be completed, signed, and submitted together with a valid passport and a photograph.
  • Where applicable, biometric identification data must be collected (community visa code, article 11 and following).
  • Applicants must present to the consular authorities proof of the purpose and circumstances of their visit, including evidence that they possess sufficient financial means and have a place to live. Applicants must also provide information that demonstrates their intention to leave the Schengen area on or before the expiration date of the visa (visa processing manual, article 6.2). Applicants must have medical insurance that is valid during travel with a minimum coverage of €30,000 (community visa code, article 15).

Nationals of the following countries do not need to obtain a visa for short stays in France:

  • Citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area, and Switzerland.
  • Nationals of the following countries, regardless of the purpose of their visit: Albania,* Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Bosnia,* Brunei, Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Vatican City, Seychelles, Taiwan (passport must include identity card number), Uruguay, Montenegro,* Macedonia,* and Serbia.*
  • Nationals of the following countries: Australia, Brazil, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Singapore, United States, and Venezuela. If the traveller will engage in paid employment while in France, the exemption applies only if he or she presents evidence of work authorization. 
  • Holders of passports from the special administrative regions of Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China) and Macao (People’s Republic of China). The exemption does not apply if the traveller will engage in paid employment in France. 
  • Holders of a valid French residency permit. 
  • Holders of a residency permit issued by a state that has implemented the Schengen agreements; holders of certain travel documents issued by EU member states.
  • Holders of the “British Nationals Overseas” passport. Special cases: Journalists on assignment, scientists, and artists intending to engage in paid employment in France must obtain a visa. 

*exemptions above apply only to holders of biometric passports 

Source: French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs

(, September 1, 2011.

To enter the EU

If you are not an EU student it is important before you travel that you make sure you have the necessary valid travel documents to enter the country. We recommend you enquire as soon as possible at the relevant consulate general in your country of residence.

Follow this link to find visa information for the European Schengen area: