Summer Study Abroad - Graphic Design
This three-week course explores the different subject areas of contemporary graphic design through a series of studio projects, turning you from a design student into a design thinker...more information below
Taught by: Emily Wood, Jaap de Maat and tutors from BA Graphic Communication Design
This three-week course explores the different subject areas of contemporary graphic design through a series of studio projects, turning you from a design student into a design thinker. The emphasis is on ideas-based problem solving as well as exploring 'What is graphic design?' You will tackle typographic and design projects and explore image-making through illustration and photography, all the time working with actual tutors from the BA (Hons) Graphic Design course at Central Saint Martins.
- As you explore creativity and experimentation you will be encouraged to find relationships between the different subject areas of design and learn in workshops to push your skills to new levels.
- The first week is a dynamic introduction to the visual context of London as a source of inspiration.
- Practical sessions will be combined with the opportunity to explore London's public space and museums.
- There will be critiques and discussions about the work-in-progress designed to give you confidence and increase your design vocabulary.
- During the second week you will explore a longer project based around you as a practitioner.
- Short one-day projects will keep the pace going, ready for finishing your work off in the third week.
- Your main project will be supplemented by a few experimental one-day pieces and each student will have some tutorial time with the main tutor before their final group presentation and discussion.
You will leave the course inspired and knowledgeable about this dynamic and ever-changing area of art and design as it appears in a London context. Previous students reported that they have gained confidence from talking about their work and have felt more prepared to either continue their studies or seek employment in the global field of graphic design.
Who should take this course?
Students booking onto this course are expected to be independent and highly motivated and should have prior experience in graphic design, preferably having completed one year at university level. This is a course based on thinking, talking and making, and it will spend time on concepts rather than software skills. Bring your laptop if you can, but this is not essential as software skills are not a priority.
Emily Wood is a co-founder of the REG design studio and is a graduate and associate lecturer of the BA (Hons) Graphic Design course at Central Saint Martins. www.regdesign.co.uk
Jaap de Maat is a lecturer on BA and MA Graphic Communication Design at CSM. Jaap graduated in BA Graphic design from the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. He has worked as co-founder in design studio 'Joep Jacobs' and moved to London to expand his work field, which is mostly focussed on print based graphic design for culture institutes. http://www.studiojoepjacobs.nl/about.php
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Sketch books and note books
- Some basic equipment, pens pencils paper etc.
- A digital camera
- Memory stick or hard drive
Download the Graphic Design Course Handbook [PDF 136KB]
Applicants must have completed at least 1 year of undergraduate-level study in graphic design.