Participatory Design and Facilitation (Online)
A course based on design sprints to learn how to plan co-design workshops and facilitate design thinking sessions for mixed audiences. When developing a new product-service, initiating a new research project or engaging a community in decision making, a rich contribution of all the stakeholders is crucially valuable...
Taught by: Tutor to be confirmed.
A course based on design sprints to learn how to plan co-design workshops and facilitate design thinking sessions for mixed audiences. When developing a new product-service, initiating a new research project or engaging a community in decision making, a rich contribution of all the stakeholders is crucially valuable. This course is a guide to the complex mix of skills necessary to make participatory experiences enjoyable and productive.
Course level - Beginner / Intermediate
Who is the course aimed at?
Design consultants, project managers, facilitators, civic servants, service designers, design researcher
What will I take away from the course?
The necessary elements to implement a co-design workshop, from its inception to its execution as well the necessary stages to document and synthesise outcomes. An open and adaptable process to generate highly empathic learning flows in participatory process.
What are the key topics the course will cover?
- How individual and collective creativity works
- How to activate a creative and collaborative mindset in workshop participants
- How to set the space for workshops
- What graphic facilitation is and how to use it
- How to communicate, document and report a workshop
What will the students learn/ achieve?
- You will learn how to independently plan all the aspects of a design thinking workshop
- Acquire the necessary skills to facilitate a workshop
- Coordinate a series of workshops that fit within a complex participatory design
This course will include:
- Design thinking workshops
- Design sprints
- Project work
Pros and cons of designing together. Different types of participatory design and facilitation
Step to step guide on how to design a workshop and a participatory process
Tools and methods for facilitation
Documentation and reporting toolkit
Project work, strategic planning
Project work, workshops planning
Project work, facilitation rehearse
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
There is no specific materials list for this course.
- From the Front of the Room, Notes on Facilitation for Experienced Practitioners by Dan Newman
- The Art of Facilitation: The Essentials for Leading Great Meetings and Creating Group Synergy by Dale Hunter