Graphic Design For Beginners (Online)
Online courses occur as a live session for 1.5 hours each week, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
Graphic design begins with ideas, and this course encourages the development of ideas through observation and research as well as introducing students to layout and typography. The course includes six diverse but related projects, inspired by the BA degree course at Central Saint Martins...
Taught by: Ruth Sykes.
Graphic design begins with ideas, and this course encourages the development of ideas through observation and research as well as introducing students to layout and typography. The course includes six diverse but related projects, inspired by the BA degree course at Central Saint Martins. Beginning with a graphic ideas brief, the projects continue with an introduction to typography and layout; including projects to design a logo, a poster and a magazine spread; the final projects are to make a small book and build a portfolio using a template website. You will be required to complete the projects in your own time to maximise your learning process and upload your work for constructive feedback during the live session.
Please note that this course does not provide instruction in using computer programs and knowledge of graphic design computer programmes is not required to complete the projects.
- Techniques to form and develop creative ideas
- Typography and logotypes
- Kerning, tracking and leading
- Scale, spacing and positioning
- Poster design
- Magazine layout
- Using grids to enhance your work
- Book making and Bookbinding
By the end of the course you will have;
- Practiced techniques that will promote your creativity and help you develop clever and creative ideas
- Attained an understanding of what graphic design is and what graphic designers do
- Studied techniques that will allow you to create effective and provoking layouts
- Completed a diverse range of exercises designed to strengthen your graphic design skills
- Had your work reviewed by your tutor and received feedback
- Learnt how to make typography, layout and image making work together to communicate ideas
- Produced work that can be added to a portfolio that can be used to enter further study
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Who is Graphic design for Beginners (Online) for
This course is aimed at beginners to graphic design who are keen to experiment and produce an inventive portfolio, either for an application for further study or for those who just want to refresh themselves and exercise an enquiring mind.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and over
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Please ensure that you have the following materials to hand:
- Black ink pen
- Sketchbook (A4 size)
- Scalpel knife
- Cutting mat
- Metal safety ruler
- Glue stick
- PVA glue
- A3 white paper (around 80gsm) x 12 sheets
- A3 tracing paper (around 6 sheets)
- A camera (any sort, a camera phone is fine)
- Millboard, A4 size x 2 sheets
- Cartridge paper, A4 size x 4 sheets
- Coloured pens and pencils can be useful
- 1 x USB webcam (external), to easily show work in progress
To complete your projects further materials are usually required, which will depend on your ideas for your projects.