Summer Study Abroad - Fashion Communication
Fashion Communication is about how fashion designers and brands get their messages and products out to a global audience. This course will clarify the workings of the fashion industry and help you to understand how to promote fashion creatively...more information below
Taught by: Hywel Davies (session 1) and Melanie Ashley (session 2) with tutors from BA Fashion Communication & Promotion
Fashion Communication is about how fashion designers and brands get their messages and products out to a global audience. This course will clarify the workings of the fashion industry and help you to understand how to promote fashion creatively. It will enhance your existing research and communication skills and help you to formulate and develop your ideas.
Students will be immersed in a European fashion arena for three weeks and will be expected, independently, to explore aspects of the industry as directed, with other students.
Who should take this course?
Although an intensive course, it is a unique and a fun London fashion experience ideal for those wishing to learn more about fashion communication and promotion together with like-minded fashion enthusiasts.
- Your fashion journey will track the process of research, design and realisation for fashion.
- You will then focus on understanding creative ways to promote fashion.
- We will look at how different media is used to communicate fashion and specifically how journalism, graphics, photography and styling can help sell fashion ideas.
- Your final project will be to create fashion images.
- Students in session 1 will work on a collaborative Fashion show with students from the Experimental Fashion Knitwear course.
- Students in session 2 will work on a collaborative campaign with the Advanced Fashion Design course.
Level: This course is open to all students, from ambitious beginners to those with more experience
Hywel Davies course leader for BA Fashion Communication at CSM. Initially the fashion editor at iconic lifestyle magazine Sleazenation, he has also written for Arena, GQ, Vogue, ELLE, Wallpaper, Nylon, Dazed & Confused, Grafik, Time Out, The Guardian, The Sunday Telegraph, The Financial Times, The Observer, The Independent and SHOWstudio. Hywel is the author of Modern Menswear, 100 New Fashion Designers, British Fashion Designers, Fashion Designers' Sketchbooks and Fashion Designers' Sketchbooks 2 all published by Laurence King Publishing. Hywel is also the founding partner of Writers’ Bloc a niche recruitment consultancy for fashion and style writers. (Session 1)
Melanie Ashley is a tutor on BA Fashion Communication and Promotion at Central Saint Martins and manages the Fashion press and events at the school including both MA and BA Fashion Shows. Fashion in London is her specialist subject having worked across PR, styling and digital innovation in London for 10 years. After graduating from CSM in BA Fashion Communication she worked with famed fashion PR Mandi Lennard, then alongside Camilla Lowther at CLM and then with Willie Walters (MBE) and has continued to focus on emerging talent in London throughout this time. Alongside her teaching and work at CSM she continues to be part of music artist M.I.A's team on creative projects, travelling internationally and as a freelance PR for designers including Richard Malone and DanShan. (Session 2)
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Pencils : coloured & lead
- Paper glue (e.g. Pritt Stick)
- Digital camera (or you can use a camera phone)
- Please also bring a laptop if you have one with memory card and wires for downloading photos digitally
All items may be purchased from the college shop or local art store.
Summer Study Abroad - Fashion Communication [PDF 353KB] course handbook.
This course is open to all students, from ambitious beginners to those with more experience